Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Been A Long Time

Hi everyone,

Its been ages since my last post...sorry have been so busy! Started Foundation Degree in Teaching and Learning, through Worcester University which outreaches in Somerset (where I live) so that's all day Friday taken care of.

Have implemented the EYFS and so far so good. I do have a query though and was hoping somebody could help me with it. A number of our children attend dual settings, I remember reading somewhere (in the paper mountain that is in danger of collapsing on me!!) that we now have to keep in regular contact with other settings children attend.

My deputy is drawing up a letter to get parental consent and also contact info such as keyworker, days attended etc. What I am unsure about is how we evidence that we are in contact, will a telephone call be ok with a record of conversation, areas covered and any actions required etc.

Be really grateful if someone could advise me on this.

Claire x

Hi Cupcake, nice to see you back and best wishes for your degree. :(

There have been other discussions on the topic of sharing information so try a search. Many suggest a contact book between settings and parents.

Your comment re: parent permission made me think, do you need this? The reason I ask is that the requirements of EYFS will now be in your updated policies, which parents agree to abide by on registration, don't they? :o

(obviously as this is a recent change a letter to explain would be good communication, but don't think you need actual signed permission)

I think a telephone conversation could be classed as communication but would need clear format, the same each time, to record the conversation, maybe followed up by an email to confirm with the other setting what was said/agreed. xD . How though, would this be shared with the parent?

Be nice to hear how you decide to organise this and how it all works out once implimented.

Peggy

Hi Claire

This has been weighing on my mind too: we have a couple of children who both attend our setting for the minority of sessions and I have to admit I was kind of hoping they would contact me and let me know how they want to play this! One of the other groups is a large chain so I was hoping they had a formal procedure but since I haven't heard anything I'm guessing I shall have to contact them to see if we can get together to organise something!

Maz

Hi Everyone,

thanks for your sound advice Peggy, have been speaking to my deputy and key persons about operating a communication book between settings which the parents will take to each session, this way we can update with significant learning, learning styles etc, the child's present interests and any trips we are planning (so the child doesnt repeat lots of trips ie fire station etc) I phoned one of my mums who uses dual settings and she said it was a great idea, also the parents get to see both key persons comments and add their own. We already have home message books so are going to purchase new books (so they stand out more) for the dual setting children, this will remind us as well that they need updating before the child attends their other setting. We are going to phone our other settings and introduce ourselves, speak to the key person and explain what were doing, we could also include photo's to show the learning taking place.

We are going to start this on Monday.

Claire x

Edited by cupcake

the dual books sound like a good idea cupcake - we also have books but could get some different ones :o

Hi Hali,

We are only going to purchase run of the mill A4 exercise books for each child (we are thinking of asking the other settings to go halves lol) we are also hoping that by including photo's etc we will also get new ideas for activities, which we can offer other children that dont attend other settings etc (dont want to many repeat activities so the dual setting children become bored etc) I am actually getting quite excited about sharing learning with the other settings, will keep this post updated when i have my first book returned (or not !!)