Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feeling Sick Just Thinking About It...

Elfy

Hi

Please HELP!

It has recently been decided at school that every teacher should do an assembly on a rota basis and even though I don't take my nursery children to assemblies I'm still expected to take an assembly.

I hate this sort of thing as I have a real thing about standing up in front of everyone.

Anyway I have to do my first one on thursday around the theme of sporting heros. I thought I might stretch the theme and read the story or the hare and the tortoise and discuss it.

What do you think? Any different ideas? Any top assembly tips?

I think I would much prefer it if I didn't have an audience of other staff - do you think this is a good/bad idea?

Elfy

x :oxD

Guaranteed way to keep children interested is to get children up to act out different parts of the story. Can make even the most dull story interesting (believe me I've done a few dire ones). Hare and Tortoise sounds like a great idea to me.

Another tip is to pick a long hymn - Lord of the Dance always takes up a good few minutes... :o

Hi

I would definately train up a few older children to act out the story - with costumes if poss. And, although I too hate other adults watching, I find it's easier to have someone else there to keep an eye on behaviour so that I can just focus on what I'm saying.

Hope you manage to enjoy it!

One of the best tricks I've observed is stationing yourself at the front of the audience so you can get the links all going and do the movements, encouraging the little ones. That way, no-one really sees you whince and they just see the back of your head and your waving arms!

Best of luck, maybe have a squirt of a Bachs Flower remedy to steady your nerves - they do work!

Take care,

Cirhossa1

Hi Elfy,

I know just how you feel! I used to feel really sick at the thought of doing a whole school assemble too, but believe me, it does get easier!

I'd go with the suggestion above, and have at least one other member of staff with you, for the "policing" aspect! Choose one you get on really well with, and can support you.

I'd definitely get some of the children involved, even playing instruments along to a hymn/song on tape (older children love to watch the little ones), or holding up pictures they've made. You can do the voice over, eg

"Ryan made this picture of the tortoise. Isn't it lovely? He took great care over it, and you can see the patterns on his shell" etc etc.

If you feel you can manage it, I'd ask a couple of questions too (insisting on raising hands to answer!): that way, you can involve the older children too, and that might stop them getting restless.

Finally, plan it really well, and go through it several times on your own. Write the sequence down somewhere, so you'll have it to hand in case you can't remember what comes next.

How long does it have to last for? It's best to plan more things than you might use, in case it goes too quickly, and you can't send the children back to their classes yet! :o

well done Elfy, reading your thread took be back to my own first assembly many moons ago, i which we also had parents.. so it was expected to be a bit of a production. WE did the Hungry Caterpillar story and lots and lots of paintings and the parents cooed and arrghed just like they are meant to, but we do all seem to survive to tell the tale...and now you can to..