Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Free Nursery Place For 2 Year Olds

How does everyone feel about this? I personally think its a good idea. Both as a provider and as a grandmother. I think we are on the dawn of free childcare from birth and why not? As long as thee parent can choose the provider with the payment going straight to provider it will work.

yeah I cannt wait

it would be great to offer free places so many children wait till free nursery places at 3 + when they could have a year or so at preschools

we find there are loads of families who dont qualify for child tax credits 'cause both parents arent working 16+hours each funding for 2 year olds would be a big help.

we find there are loads of families who dont qualify for child tax credits 'cause both parents arent working 16+hours each

Maybe the hours should be changed? What about mums who wish/would prefer to stay at home, wheres the help for them??

I feel very mixed about this. Once free nursery is provided then it suggests to parents that the right thing to do is to access their entitlement whether they are working or not. For many two year olds the best place to be is at home with Mum (or Dad) experiencing a rich pattern of learning from life with someone who loves you dearly. Pre school is fantastic and provides a wonderful service but so does parenting and lets not undermine that. In an ideal world parents could access the funding and be supported in their choice as to how to care for their child.

I also find it strange that in view of the financial crisis that has been unfolding this week and talk of huge tax rises to support failing financial institutions and repay debt that increased public spending has been announced.

What about mums who wish/would prefer to stay at home, wheres the help for them??

That's a very valid point biccy and I would like to see it addressed properly - could staying at home with your child be made a (more) fianancially viable option for those parents who decide that that's what they want to do?

I wish the child was at the heart of the government policy, not the tax revenue gained from working parents. :o

Why does the government only fund 15 hrs of childcare when parents need to work 16 hrs to access WFTC? Doesn't add up to me.

Once government pays for childcare, they then dictate How we should care. xD

I think parents should be empowered to have their own choice with regard to work, stay at home, or a mixture of both.

I think it's sad that 2 yr olds (even 3 & 4 yr olds) are a commodity and that nurseries are no longer a service choice but are a necessity for many parents.

Peggy

i quite agree Peggy and such a valid point Biccy - priorities are all wrong! xD

It would be very interesting to see if parents were paid to stay at home to look after thier children - how many would- wouldnt it???! (dont say it Maz - no more dissertions!!!!) :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)