Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holding Food, Is It For Attention?

not sure if I have out this in the correct place but wondered if anyone could give some advice for a child who used to eat really well suddenly decided to slow right down and hold food in cheeks for a while before chewing? Nothing in her life has changed no disruptions Mum is getting anxious about it just wondered if there is something I'm missing or could advise. My has stopped all snacking and doesn't pander to his "I don't want it, she has told me she tries to ignore and not respond anxiously?

Skippy - that's a new one on me!

I've had the picky eaters, slow/fast eaters and the "grazers" who eat all day long as long as they don't have to sit down to a meal but haven't experienced this situation.

Does it happen at every meal/snack, whatever he eats?

I ask because my daughter suffers from Oral Allergy Syndrome where certain foods, most often raw fruits or vegatables, cause a reaction in her mouth.

The roof of her mouth and throat "tingle" or "itch" as her bodies way of warning her NOT to eat whatever it is.

In her case "5 a day" does not keep her healthy!

We didn't get a diagnosis until she was 10 and I can remember feeling sick and guilty when the Immunologist ran through lists of fruit & vegetables with her to discover which groups caused problems.

She cheerfully told the Dr "I don't like that because it makes my mouth sore" - it was news to me :o

All those times I'd encouraged her to eat her fruit and veg "because it was good for her" it was the exact opposite! xD

All those visits to the GP and even A&E with skin rashes, hives etc!! It wasn't until she was older that these symptoms began to appear, although it's something she's had all her life apparently.

Boy, did I feel bad! (All under control now, thankfully, with daily anti-histamines and avoidance of known culprits!)

It's so easy to think eating issues are attention seeking or a child's bid for control but, as I learned, sometimes it can be medical. Perhaps Mum should have a chat with the GP?

I'll be interested to see what happens...

Good Luck,

Nona

Hi Nona Thanks for your reply. I suggested a sticker chart with an agreed reward as all other avenues explored had not worked. Mum came in to day and said yesterday was a really good day and today she ate her lunch really well!

Allergies can arise in so many ways at least you have it all under control now. I haven't come across oral allergy syndrome sound horrible but how were you too know if the professional at the hospital and Dr's didn't pick it up either!

That's good news, Skippy, hope the eating continues.

My daughter was first "diagnosed" by a mum on the playground who suffers from OAS herself!

Her son was in the same class and he told her Alexa had been off poorly and been in hospital etc.

She recognised the symptoms, sought me out and advised going back to the GP and insisting on a referral to the consultant - even gave me the consultant's name etc!

We haven't looked back since!

Never let it be said that parents stand around on the playground swapping gossip :o

Nona

That's good news, Skippy, hope the eating continues.

My daughter was first "diagnosed" by a mum on the playground who suffers from OAS herself!

Her son was in the same class and he told her Alexa had been off poorly and been in hospital etc.

She recognised the symptoms, sought me out and advised going back to the GP and insisting on a referral to the consultant - even gave me the consultant's name etc!

We haven't looked back since!

Never let it be said that parents stand around on the playground swapping gossip :o

Nona

Hi Nona,

I have a latex allergy and there are some fruits which have a natural derivative of latex in them which cause problems for me - strawberries, kiwi fruit, satsumas, bananas, tomatoes - to name a few. I do love them, but would suffer a reaction by eating them. Mouth tingles and lips start to swell, so I understand the soreness your daughter experiences.

Regards

Core

Core

They haven't recently got a pet hampster have they? (sorry couldn't resist). My foster son has a problem with over chewing, then he can't swallow.

Peggy

I look after a little boy who is 3 and he just shoves food into his mouth until he cannot move his jaws any more... then he sits looking helpless.

The only solution is telling him it's ok to spit.

Mum just gives him small amounts of everything and checks he's swallowed before giving any more.

I have been cutting food up and encouraging one mouthful at a time, but as soon as you take your eyes off him, in it all goes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)