Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nqt In Reception

Hello all.

I'm an NQT in Reception without an Early Years co-ordinator and, as such, have struggled writing my planning as I have been unable to find the relevant folders anywhere; no-one seems to know anything about my year.

Last years planning is around but a few things have changed so is now only partially relevant, such as the addtion of Ruth Miskin.

The problem now is that it has been hinted that I will be asked to take on the role of Early Years co-ordinator in the near future (weeks rather than months). Should I be expected to take on this role? I'm struggling keeping on top of the work load as it (it's all very daunting) and now they're suggesting all these extra 'bits'.

Where do I stand on this? I have no-one to really turn to as it is a one form entry and no-one really has any clue about the Foundation Stage. Would it look really bad if I said I didn't think I could do it?

To be honest I'm having sleepless nights all the time, come home extremely unhappy everyday, and am not sure I can keep on top of the seemingly endless amount of new stuff that I find is expected of me every time I walk back into school.

I was only given the planning on the first day of school and my predecessor has completely left the area.

HELP!!!

:D This is so unfair on you, buttonmoon!

I think you should resist FS Coord stuff for now - How dare they foist in on you at this stage in your career!!!- but don't shut the door completely. When you've found your feet you might enjoy it!!

Sue

Buttonmoon I am sorry that you feel so overwhelmed, it is a lot to take in at the start of September.

As an NQT you should not be asked to coordinate anything! It might be suggested that this role could be yours next year and you could suggest that if asked.

You should also have a reduced timetable, at least an afternoon out of the classroom every week, to enable you to seek support, get to grips with things ie the paper work, observe other teachers, visit other settings perhaps. You should also have an induction programme of courses for NQTs, provided by your LEA.

Has anyone mentioned all of this? Ask if not. Speak to your mentor, I hope you have one! Get in touch with your advisory teacher.

You thought initially your predessor was going to be around? Is she not there?

What have you been asked to do until the children arrive?

Are you in a union? I hate to be alarmist but that is also another port of call for you.

Good luck.

Buttonmoon

Remember that you can only do so much.

If you need any help then let us know... looking at planning etc for you.

Do you have a class list and DOB of the children coming in.... is there any opportunity for you to visit pre- schools... they may still be attending if school has not started yet and some leaders may be willing to speak to you to give you some background information on the children.

You really need to find someone to talk to in your school... I had no support in my first post and know what it is like to feel that you have all these jobs dumped at your feet and not knowing what to do.

Please let us know if there is anything specific we can help you with.

Remember to hold your head high and keep smiling it will make you feel better... and things will eventually get better.

L :o

Susan is right, talk to your union and I would do it now rather than when it might get sticky.

As an NQT I don't think you can be asked to coordinate. This below is copied from the Teachernet site.

Your role/job description

You should not be given a job description that makes unreasonable demands. This should apply equally whether you are working on a part?time basis, or long?term supply basis.

Specifically, as an NQT you should normally undertake your induction support programme in a post that:

* Does not demand teaching outside the age range and/or subject(s) for which you have been trained. However, there is nothing to prevent you teaching any age range/subject should you wish, once you have been awarded QTS.

* Does not present you on a day?to?day basis with acute or especially demanding discipline problems.Involves you regularly teaching the same class(es).

* Involves similar planning, teaching and assessment processes to those in which other teachers working in substantive posts in the school are engaged.

* Does not involve additional non-teaching responsibilities without the provision of appropriate preparation and support.

As an NQT you can expect to receive:

* A timetable of no more than 90 per cent of the timetable of other mainscale teachers in the school without responsibility points. The additional 10 per cent non-contact time is for activities that form part of your induction support programme.

* A schedule for formal assessment meetings.

* Timetabling of lessons and support arrangements.

* An induction tutor and a named contact at your Appropriate Body. If you have not been given the latter, it can be obtained from the TTA. Call 020 7023 8028, or email induction@teach-tta.gov.uk

* Entitlements to pay during sickness absences, contacts for other absences, e.g. maternity leave, arrangements for salary payments, provisions for pensions and any other entitlements. In many cases these will be similar to existing arrangements for any new employees.

* School health and safety and equal opportunity policies.

* Other relevant school policies including arrangements for cover, child protection etc.

* The nature of the contract of employment, a list of duties and management arrangements.

You can also get the whole set of responsibilities at this link

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/professionald...b2-2c5237611cbb

Best Wishes

Cx

Buttonmoon, try and keep calm as sleepless nights will only make things worse (I know this is easier said than done, but try and remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and you can only do your best) :o .

I seem to remember that you do not have a nursery attached to your school? If this is correct, you are in the same position that I was last year, an NQT with limited experience in a one form entry school without a nursery and trying hard to work out a whole different curriculum to the rest of the school. If this is the case, then effectively you are the foundation stage co-ordinator/manager even if you are not given the title!

I was very lucky and had 2 mentors, one in school (the deputy) who looked after my day-to-day well-being and another who used to work at the school but was having a career break and was particularly experienced in foundation stage and she advised me on the planning, assessment, management etc. Perhaps there is someone from your LEA who can provide the extra support you need if it is not available at your school? We have an Early Years Advisor based at our LEA who makes regular visits and recommendations and is on the end of the phone if we need her, is there a similar position at your LEA? It's worth talking over with your head/mentor and explaining your fears and see what you can work out. You should definitely not be put any unreasonable pressure and if all else fails, contact your union - that's what they're there for!

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Buttonmoon, try and keep calm as sleepless nights will only make things worse (I know this is easier said than done, but try and remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and you can only do your best) :o .

I seem to remember that you do not have a nursery attached to your school? If this is correct, you are in the same position that I was last year, an NQT with limited experience in a one form entry school without a nursery and trying hard to work out a whole different curriculum to the rest of the school. If this is the case, then effectively you are the foundation stage co-ordinator/manager even if you are not given the title!

I was very lucky and had 2 mentors, one in school (the deputy) who looked after my day-to-day well-being and another who used to work at the school but was having a career break and was particularly experienced in foundation stage and she advised me on the planning, assessment, management etc. Perhaps there is someone from your LEA who can provide the extra support you need if it is not available at your school? We have an Early Years Advisor based at our LEA who makes regular visits and recommendations and is on the end of the phone if we need her, is there a similar position at your LEA? It's worth talking over with your head/mentor and explaining your fears and see what you can work out. You should definitely not be put under any unreasonable pressure and if all else fails, contact your union - that's what they're there for!

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all you advice I've had a better look at what im expected to be able to do and what im not to do.

So far the coordinator thing has been put on hold and i think the've decided to leave it for a while. Ill see how that goes.

Ive finally met my mentor and she's really nice but she knows nothing about the foundation stage, this shouldnt be a problem should it? We've organised some courses etc so at least thats going fine.

I met most of my children today and the main problem is a child with 'severe' behavioural problems (she is being tested for ADHD and Asperger) Does anyone know any good websites for advice?

The other problem is a couple of very pushy parents but thats the same with most classes!

Thanks for help guys.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)