Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do/would You Spend Staff Training Allowance?

Lucy P

It is looking quite hopeful that i will be employing someone with a childhood studies degree :o

I have looked into the Graduate Leader Fund and found that we will receive £5000 for improving quality within the setting.

Obviously this is fantastic news and i have been excited about it all weekend, however i have just started worrying about how i will spend the money!!

The majority of our training is from the council, we pay an annual subscription for this so i try to get the staff on as many courses as possible to make it worthwhile.

I am sure there is some fantastic training available but where do i find out about it?

What type of training have others spent the GLF on?

I am doing a lot of EYFS training for all staff and also management training which I think is desperately needed in most settings. I also have done yoga, language,health, music training which has greatly improved the nursery and the staff!!!!

You can use some of the money for her salary but again this is a minefield. Has she got experience in a setting or just degree? Will her knowledge be greater than the existing staff. Will it cause disruption by bringing in someone from outside. Just to make you aware it is not straightforward.

The last person I helped achieve EYP status with a degree is working as a taxi booking clerk as she cannot get a job in schools and thought she was above the rest of the staff and left of her own freewill to get more money in the maintained sector (this was over a year ago!!)

Hi Sadie

Thanks for your reply.

I agree it is a minefield! We will actually receive £8000 so had already taken the £3000 off for her wages!

It will be hard as she will actually receive more than our management team, we have spoken to them about this and they are ok as i have said that we are only paying the same rate as a level 3 and the government are paying for the rest.

She went straight to university after completing her A levels and has no practical experience (only 15 hours were required during the first year of her degree :o )

After just reading back what i have typed it seems completely mad that the government will give this allowance to someone without experience!

It will be hard as she will actually receive more than our management team, we have spoken to them about this and they are ok as i have said that we are only paying the same rate as a level 3 and the government are paying for the rest.

As I understand it Lucy, this funding is for two years only and as yet there is no firm commitment to extend it beyond this period. So we have been advised to ensure our business plans take account of the revised salary to make sure it is sustainable for the future. Something to think about - otherwise there's a risk you won't be able to afford her once the funding runs out.

Maz

I would dangle the carrot at the end so to speak and give her more money if she achieves EYP status/ stays in the setting for a period of time. Mine gained EYP in July and left for greener pastures 6 weeks later. Give the rest of staff a financial reward if training attended also.