Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Louis Braille

I've been told that for my final history topic (others already planned) I can do any famous person from history and I've decided to do Louis Braille, as he really fits in well with the Ourselves and the Senses topic we are doing. Has anyone ever taught this great man before? Or does anyone care to share some good ideas?

So far this weekend I've decided that obviously we are going to be looking at Braille (going to try and get hold of some) and I've got a copy of the Braille alphabet, so will make words or our names with that alphabet. I thought we could do some tactile pictures and do lots of blindfolded trust games. I'm also hoping that I can get someone with a guide dog to come in, though I don't have any contacts at the moment.

Any other ideas guys?

Thanks xx

Here is a site with activites about the five senses which might help

http://www.geocities.com/kindergartenkapers/5senses.html

and this one has activities to do with sight

http://www.pcicatalog.com/download/demo/EC...PCI_ECC_102.pdf

Couldn't find anything specific to Louis Braille - sorry. xD

(Please don't anyone bring up Three Blind Mice otherwise you'll have Bubblejack running for cover!! Whatever did you do with those knitted mice Bubblejack?? :o )

Beau I threw them away!!!!!

We have moved the pre-school to different premises. There was already a pre-school there but the supervisor retired in July. She is a good friend of mine but there was so much junk in her cupboards that I was in a really reckless throw away mood. It has taken me all of the summer hols to sort everything,put up shelves and I am all set to go back tomorrow. I can't wait!!

Guest diannej

What a great topic.

You can find out more about Louis Braille from the RNIB website

here

You can also buy braille labels for your computer keyboard although Im not sure how expensive they are. You can download the braille font if you want the children to type their names, and for classroom labelling, you can find it

here

A number of restaurants have menus in braille, and also household cleaning products have braille on them, see if you can get your hands on some empty ones.

Hope that helps

hi there Nichola

after we had our visit from our lady and her guide dog, we dressed 3 children up as dogs (the IKEA dog costumes were perfect but any ensemble will do) and 3 children blindfolded :o .) The acitivity was for the dog to do the leading and the child being led to find out what it must be like to be visually impaired.

It was really interesting to find out their reactions

• 3 weeks later...
:D Hi Nichola, Get in touch with your authorities Visual Impairment service. They should have Braille machines and booklets etc you can use. I work for the VI service and we are often asked about things like this and are always willing to help out! Enjoy! Brenda :o

Hi Nichola, I used to teach Braille to a six year old girl and have quite a few resources you could use. Postage may work out expensive unless i can send them free matter for the blind, I will have to make enquires if you want them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)