Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Input

Hello everyone! I am currently working as FS leader in a school with a nursery and a Reception Class. The nursery is in a separate building with a lovely Welcome area for parents which makes it easier to talk to them about their children's learning and sharing nursery profiles with them as an ongoing process. The Reception class find this more difficult as they do not get the chance to chat to parents in the same way as I can in Nursery. I was wondering how other Reception classes include parental input in building on children's FS Profiles. Any ideas?

Wondering this myself as I've put it on our Action Plan to include more parental input into profiles - only trouble is, this year (first time ever!) parents are bringing children in and then disappearing straight away, so we don't get the chance to have even an informal chat - the most we seem to be managing is to ask how are they enjoying school. I'd be greatful to know - I don't really want to start setting up meetings ever night with parents.

We're not a reception class but a day nursery. We have "wow" vouchers outside each home room and the parents can fill one of these in if their child achieves something at home(riding a bike, crawling etc), they then pop them in a "polly pocket" (folded of course for confidentiality) also outside of the room then the girls collect them and add the voucher/information to the child's profile. Sometimes parents forget to tell us things so rather than go back into the room and disturb the child they do it this way - works for us, Ofsted and Early Years team loved it!

We're not a reception class but a day nursery. We have "wow" vouchers outside each home room and the parents can fill one of these in if their child achieves something at home(riding a bike, crawling etc), they then pop them in a "polly pocket" (folded of course for confidentiality) also outside of the room then the girls collect them and add the voucher/information to the child's profile. Sometimes parents forget to tell us things so rather than go back into the room and disturb the child they do it this way - works for us, Ofsted and Early Years team loved it!

thanks for that we'll give that a try!

Not on this computer - sorry!! But it's simple really

WOW VOUCHER

On........................(date)................................(child's name) achieved......................................................... at home

we are all very proud and said wow!!!

Or something like that!!!! Can get about 4 on an A4 size of paper so its economical too!!!!!

We have just started to use a home-school diary this year. The parents can record anything their children have achieved or even said. They are not expected to write in it every night, just when they have achieved something. If they have particularly enjoyed an activity at school then we write a short message to let parents know so that might want to continue this activity at home.

Welcome sbrown! I had to double take when I read your reply as I thought "I don't remember replying to this topic"! We do exactly the same and also send the diaries to other settings or childminders if the child attends there and the parents agree to pass them on. It is working well so far and we get some great ideas for activities from the interests.

Hi,

I started using a Home/School Information Book last year (Reception Class). I included some general ideas to point parents in the right direction as to what to look out for in their child's development. I collected the books in every second week and then added any information into the children's Profiles. As with anything else, some parents' wrote in the book regularly, some never at all.

However, I did feel that the books were useful and the parents sent in some very interesting photographs, examples of things their children had made at home etc. which all added to my knowledge and understanding of their child.

I will be introducing them again this year, probably after half-term.

Hope this is of some use.

Hi,

I started using a Home/School Information Book last year (Reception Class). I included some general ideas to point parents in the right direction as to what to look out for in their child's development. I collected the books in every second week and then added any information into the children's Profiles. As with anything else, some parents' wrote in the book regularly, some never at all.

However, I did feel that the books were useful and the parents sent in some very interesting photographs, examples of things their children had made at home etc. which all added to my knowledge and understanding of their child.

I will be introducing them again this year, probably after half-term.

Hope this is of some use.

Thanks so much to everyone for your ideas its a great help!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)