Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Curriculum Information For Parents

Rufus

Hi all

In past years we have carried out our curriculum evening to new Reception parents - powerpoint presentation and general chat. Then given out topic overviews for the year so they know what their children will be covering. Hoping to have a workshop type curriculum eveing this time, parents playing games etc, should be fun! (anyway back to the matter in hand). However I cannot do that anymore as we don't know what our topics are going to be. But the parents will still want something. Does anyone have anything that they hand out like this - only thing I can thinnk of is the Dev Matters statements in a simplistic 'I can' format but i'm not sure that I want the parents having this info to constantly assess their child against. Perhaps not a healthy thing for some parents to have!

Any ideas - Do other people hand anything out at all? :o

Hi all

In past years we have carried out our curriculum evening to new Reception parents - powerpoint presentation and general chat. Then given out topic overviews for the year so they know what their children will be covering. Hoping to have a workshop type curriculum eveing this time, parents playing games etc, should be fun! (anyway back to the matter in hand). However I cannot do that anymore as we don't know what our topics are going to be. But the parents will still want something. Does anyone have anything that they hand out like this - only thing I can thinnk of is the Dev Matters statements in a simplistic 'I can' format but i'm not sure that I want the parents having this info to constantly assess their child against. Perhaps not a healthy thing for some parents to have!

Hi all

We are not handing out written info but recording learning on our 'Learning Wall' - details of activities we are doing because of childrens interests and then comments showing learning that has taken place.

We are not handing out written info but recording learning on our 'Learning Wall' - details of activities we are doing because of childrens interests and then comments showing learning that has taken place.

I keep hearing about these learning walls. Can you tell me in lamens terms what they are? How big? how often do you change it? what does it include?

New to us but we have started with a topic and add childrens comments to show why we are going off in certain direction, work we have done , photos etc and ask parents to contribute by letting us know of children's interests outside of the setting. Early days - watch this space!

I had a meeting with my parents yesterday. Explained about the new EYFS and how our topics would be done to follow children's interests. We too are going to do a learning wall. Nothing on it yet, but we're working on it! Talked about our day, activities we would be doing, and about learning through play, although this is how we have always worked.

They were all really interested and I think I have the most supportive and lovely parents you could ask for.

They have asked for another 'get together' at the beginning of next term!

jackie.

Hi Rufus,

I work in a nursery and we are also planning a curriculum evening for the parents. Like you we thought we'd do it in a workshop format and set up the nursery with activities for the parents to see. We will talk briefly about the EYFS and explain the importance of following children's interests and learning through play etc. We thought we might write out some of the commitments which link up to the activities and place them alongside. I liked tessybear's and Jacky's suggestions too. I don't know if anyone has any ideas about how to find out from parents about their child's home interests other than verbally. I wonder if a box they could post them into might work or if anyone has any other ideas. Also any more ideas about what goes down well in a curriculum evening would be appreciated, other than cake and coffee!

Jamiee.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)