Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sats

Discussion on day time TV today about Ed Balls considering doing away with Sats, replacing with a test when teacher thinks the individual child is ready for assessments at any particular level. Only Britain, in the UK, have SATs tests, majority of callers to the show think they are not useful.

I wonder, if they are replaced, whether they will bring in and expand the Single Level Tests for all primary/Junior children (see attachment).

I'm not sure I like the length of these single level tests, or the fact that there may be 2 per year, that's if I have read it right. (obviously shorter times for younger children I would hope)

I wonder why they need tests at all, schools are moderated by LEA's on progress, it's the individual that counts to me, not the collective school result. (too ambiguous and focused on academic only)

What do you think?

Peggy

SLT_leaflet_2008.pdf

Aaaaagh! :o

So they're proposing two test "windows" each year.....that means a child could be tested twice a year for 7 seven years. That's crazy, isn't it? xD

If teachers aren't teaching to tests now, they certainly will be if this comes in!

Discussion on day time TV today about Ed Balls considering doing away with Sats, replacing with a test when teacher thinks the individual child is ready for assessments at any particular level. Only Britain, in the UK, have SATs tests, majority of callers to the show think they are not useful.

Just to clarify Peggy, Scotland does not have Sats - not sure about Wales. In Scotland there is testing for the children, which is done by the teacher when they feel a child is ready for it and not before. These are purely to make sure that progress is being made by individuals and that teaching is adequate. They do not go towards any sort of league table. Certainly all the teachers I have come across in Scotland have been happy with this system and prefer it to the Sats type system. :o

There are great strides being made in KS2 and KS3 towards continual assessment like in foundation stage so that teacher assessment is much more important (and reliable) as opposed to one-off tests. However it seems inevitable that we are not trusted enough to give reliable assessments and so externally marked tests seem unavoidable.

In theory if teachers are doing a good job in assessing at KS2 children should only be tested 2/3 times in 4 years. When they are judged to have reached Level 3, Level 4 and possibly Level 5. Why just an externally marked sample isn't possible to maintain standards who knows?

As for league tables... :o

Just to clarify Peggy, Scotland does not have Sats - not sure about Wales. In Scotland there is testing for the children, which is done by the teacher when they feel a child is ready for it and not before. These are purely to make sure that progress is being made by individuals and that teaching is adequate. They do not go towards any sort of league table. Certainly all the teachers I have come across in Scotland have been happy with this system and prefer it to the Sats type system. :(

Sorry Beau, should have said England, not Britain. xD

Sounds like England can learn from Scotland, as I think we should on many of the Scottish ways of thinking when it comes to Early Years. :o

Peggy

There are great strides being made in KS2 and KS3 towards continual assessment like in foundation stage so that teacher assessment is much more important (and reliable) as opposed to one-off tests. However it seems inevitable that we are not trusted enough to give reliable assessments and so externally marked tests seem unavoidable.

In theory if teachers are doing a good job in assessing at KS2 children should only be tested 2/3 times in 4 years. When they are judged to have reached Level 3, Level 4 and possibly Level 5. Why just an externally marked sample isn't possible to maintain standards who knows?

As for league tables... xD

I really do think that Teachers should be trusted more, and shouldn't have to jump through hoops to prove themselves to people in ivory towers etc. Teachers are at the heart of how children learn and think, they are the ones who experience at first hand on a daily basis how external factors impacts on childrens learning styles, learning interests and therefore their needs for achieving attainment at what is the childs individual best ability.

I do not believe league tables are of any use to parents, I would guess that less than 30% of the parent population refer to them, and of the ones that do, they cannot guarantee getting into a school of their choosing (based on table results) anyway.

The results only show ( if taken as 'sound' data) academic levels, which doesn't necessarily prove a school is good for a childs whole wellbeing and rounded education. Many schools who are high on the league tables have parents who pay for 'extra tuition' for their children, over and above what the school offers.

Now when they publish 'Child Happy' league tables, I'd be interested then (as a parent) :o

Peggy

Me too! Happy, secure, creative thinkers, kind, tolerant, sharing and caring, self-esteem... I'm sure we could go on and on with this kind of list!

I really hate this politicising of education, and when I think of all the money that has been 'wasted' over the last 15 years or so which could have been spent on improving class size ratios, and the learning environment, and keeping the creative arts firmly in place, I could scream. Think of all those NC folders just for starters AAAAHHHH!!!!!

Not to forget paying EY's workers what they deserve, to show just how much they should be valued as the people shaping the future for our youngest children.

Off my soap box now folks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)