Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Short/medium/long Term Plans

I am trying to build a complete list of what everyone incorporates and understands with the different planning in their setting.

If you have time could you just briefly explain what you and the staff in your setting understand / use and include in

1 Short Term Planning

2 Medium Term Planning

3 Long Term Planning

I have read through the new EYFS and the categories are quite loose and flexible.

:o Oh dear! Well here goes, though I'm not sure this is 'right' but it works for me xD

Short term: Weekly plan, divided into areas of the curriculum. Includes what I want the children to learn, ref to EYFS. Adult focus task (quick outline), direction children have taken, things to note and e-profile ref if approp (so I don't forget that an observation could be useful)

Medium term: Topic plan (starting point), includes brief outline of example activities, ref to EYFS. This has plenty of space for child led ideas and activities.

Long term: Well I feel the main part of this is EYFS but I also have a long term plan which I fill in monthly. It outlines any special events for the class and e-profile areas that need a bit of focusing on in each curriculum area. This links to my obs and assessments and keeps SMT happy! Oh and of course my continous provision plans...how could I forget!!

Edited by annie d

Dont know if it right, but this is how we do it

Short term plan- individual child plan, with next steps and seperate Daily continuous plan

Medium term, from eyfs, what we plan here comes into the above plans, whilst being individual to the child. ( um dont seem to be explaining very well)

Long Term, Festivals

Sorry, dont even make sense to me and i do it,It works for us though :o

I am trying to build a complete list of what everyone incorporates and understands with the different planning in their setting.

If you have time could you just briefly explain what you and the staff in your setting understand / use and include in

1 Short Term Planning

2 Medium Term Planning

3 Long Term Planning

I have read through the new EYFS and the categories are quite loose and flexible.

Long term - use topic heading and then look at age related objectives for each area and best fit for the topic

Medium term - take the objectives and decide which 1/2 term they being delivered in

Short term - produce a child friendly objective fronm the medium term 1 under each area of learning ensuring can be delivered throught a wide spectrum of activities so allowing high access to all children

If I remember will put attatchment on here when pinched the planning off my nursery team leaders memory stick as that should make the message clearer

I used to do;

Long Term Plan: Aim for each child to reach their potential towards the Early learning goals during the period of time they are with us, includes all area/aspects and ELG's (although children are not expected to reach, as some will not be met until Reception age, teaching methods (continuous provision, adult/child led/initiated, differentiation), learning styles, Observation and assessment methods. Resources-including visits/visitors, Indoors/Outdoors, Monitoring methods. Basically the Aims and Objectives of the curriculum, with consideration to equal opps, inclusive practice, H&S, welfare etc.

Medium term- didn't have one

Short Term: Daily blank planning sheets completed as childrens learning interests / styles / needs were observed, Included resources, learning intentions, learning observations (not planned). Some planning written retrospectively ie: what learning was observed, some planning placed on next days sheet as planned to continue particular interests and to guide childrens awreness of new concepts/skills within their identified interests, to help meet any gaps identified. ie: child really interested in small world role play with brio tracks and trains, has a gap in numeracy skills, would incorporate this concept into the next days plans to encourage whilst he is playing with the brio.

As staff played alongside children rather than in a leading role the staff would use play to introduce festivals, cultural knowledge, ie: a staff member would bring in Chinese artifacts relevant to Chinese New Year and introduce them at show and tell, just like a child would introduce their 'news'. And/or just start playing with them and any child interested would join the staff member.

Peggy

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)