Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Dreaded Ofted Visit (reception Class)

Hi everyone,

Has anyone got any words of wisdom on what OFSTED will be looking for now. To be honest I am not really sure what they were looking for before, but I have never experienced an Ofsted before as I was only an NQT last year!! My head just say don't worry about anything and just concentrate on your teaching, but that really isn't any help. I think the problem is I am feeling the pressure as my school is due an Ofsted and have received an Outstanding in their last 3. No matter how many times i read the EYFS it doesn't seem to be getting any clearer!! HELP !!

Please try not to worry too much cjane (easy for me to say, I know), yes have some understanding of the EYFS, but it is early days so judgement on how it has impacted on practice should be 'fair'. The longer you practice it the less confusion, I'm sure.

I am not reception experienced but I would think emphasis would be on the SEF, possibly how you 'intend' to assess 'where the children are now' to enable measurement of progress.

If visit soon, possibly looking at settling in process plus partnership with parents.

Sure more members will be along soon to offer support, tips and good wishes. :o

Good luck,

Peggy

Hi Cjane

I think they may be looking for : Parental involvement

Tracking children ie. planning / observations

How you assess childrens progress and use it for the next steps.

I hope this will help and not panic you . I am sure you are doing all this already.

Good luck and don't panic easy for me to say but I think they are about to visit me to!

The emphasis is on the SEF and the senior management team to prove that their judgements are correct. Assuming you do not have a core responsibility you are unlikely to need to worry about anything other than your teaching and your class organisation etc. Keep your paperwork up to date and know why you do what you do and your children!

Thankyou, I don't have any management responsibilties. But as I am in a single-form entry school from this Sep my head has made me Foundation Stage Coordinator.

Our last Ofsted earlier this year focused almost entirely on data, results, tracking systems, raiseonline etc. all of which was in hands of SMT. As foundation coordinator they asked me about preparation for eyfs and my understanding of it, e profiles as in do I use them, letters and sounds and child initiated activities. I was observed briefly which was ok. Emphasis for me was on understanding children learning through play. However it all depends on the team but I'm sure you'll be ok! Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)