Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Homework Help Please

Now this is when I miss Mundia, BUT I am sure someone will come along and help me please.

Son (age 13) maths homework, He won't see this so you can give me the answers with the 'method' Thanks.

I don't seem to have a divide symbol key :o

-14 (divide)-2 =

- 16 (divide)-4 =

50 (divide) -2 =

3 x - 7 =

-3 x -8 =

-8- -4 =

Thanks

Peggy

I hope this helps. :o

Wow - what a fantastic site! I love the fact that it lets you check your answers. I can't ever imagine when I'd need to multiply negative numbers but now I know where to look for the method!

Maz

The overall rule that I seem to remember -and which seems to apply to these problems - is that if you mulitply/divide two numbers that are BOTH either negative or positive (but have to be the same) then the answer is always a positive one, if the two numbers are one of each then the answer is negative one.

WHERE did that bit of rusty knowledge come from??? I shall be so chuffed if I'm right! :o

Now this is when I miss Mundia, BUT I am sure someone will come along and help me please.

Son (age 13) maths homework, He won't see this so you can give me the answers with the 'method' Thanks.

I don't seem to have a divide symbol key :o

-14 (divide)-2 = 7

- 16 (divide)-4 = 4

50 (divide) -2 = -25

3 x - 7 = -21

-3 x -8 =24

-8- -4 =-4

rules as follows

negative and a positive = negative outcome

positive and positive = positive outcome

negative and negative = positive outcome

the final subtraction starts at -8 and it is followed by a minus and then another minus so it creates a plus. so -8 effectively gets added by 4 which makes -4.

my son is 21 and works in an accounts dept he is fabulous at anything mathematical and is training to be a teacher. I asked him and this is what he has come up with I hope it helps

killowengirl.

Thanks

Peggy

Thanks a lot Beau, printed off and given to son. xD:o

I did find out that google do calculations, I just put the sum in the search br and the answer appears, using () to define the 'parts' of the sum. This helped me work it out abit, but I still got stuck on explaining some sums to my son, so thanks again.

Peggy

Its one of those things I love about this place.. ask any question and someone will be able to help.. no questions or making you feel it was wrong or out of place.. just acceptance and an answer... And it helps others too..

and it is not only us involved but our families too..as killowengirl showed...

Inge

I would echo what you say Inge. I am no longer working in Early Years but will give any advice or support that I can provide on the forum when the occasion arises. There are so many members here who also think the same. That is why we are such a fantastic community - we give as much as we can and that includes other family members too. :o

hear, hear to Inge and Beau's comments :o My son still worked for an hour+ on his maths homework, but unlike last year when he struggled, he didn't have a tantrum, thanks to my help, which I couldn't have given without the forum support. xD

Peggy

But that's not a permanent arrangement, is it Beau? xD

My long term grand plans are to become an Educational Psychologist but that will take a while. If I need to earn a few pennies in the meantime then a job in Early Years would be my obvious choice but I am not planning on going back to voluntary committee run playgroup ever again!! :o