Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Read Any Good Books?

Andreamay

I've just read "I'm not scared" by Niccolo Ammaniti, An adult 'Famous Five' type of story.

I've also just got 'Keeping Faith' by Jodi Picoult, not started it yet though.

I may be asking advice at Christmas because I've asked 'Santa' for this present What Peggy would like for Christmas!

fingers crossed, if Santa doesn't bring it though, I'll buy it myself :oxD

Peggy

I know the thread is about books for us grown ups!

But whilst I was whiling away the hours in hospital I came across this most beautiful book fr children.

I apologise in advance if you've all seen it and talked abut it before, I hadn't. Maybe it was reviewed at some point but I couldn't find the book reviews to check (thast what time away does to you!)

Its

'For every Child', published by Unicef and written with the UN Convention of the Rights of the Child in mind, it picks out the 14 most pertinent rights for young children and writes them in simple language with the most fantastic set of illustrations from the likes of John Burningham, Shirley Hughes and Rachel Isadora (and many others too).

Its a very powerful and moving book. Its been around for years and yet I've never before seen it. I've now ordered myself a copy! Id love to see it on every early years settings shelf (maybe you all have it already and its just me behind the times!!).

Its probabaly the best 7 quid Ive spent in a couple of months...

Mundia xx

Sounds like a lovely book, Mundia and how lovely to see you posting again!

While on holiday and while I've been in hospital and home I've read the latest Gervase Phinn book which, like all the others was great! I've also read Stephen Fry's Moab is my Washpot, which is his story through his time at school to turning 18. A REALLY good read and so interesting.

Mundia xx

I DID read your post and make a note of the book you mentioned, but it's just so nice to see THIS in a post!

xx

Edited by Wolfie

Mundia - you must be on the mend if you're shopping!! :o

Nona

p.s I've just finished reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodie Piccoult and thought it was brilliant - couldn't put it down (even to browse in here!)

Hi I read 'The other Boleyn sister' which was fab and then the sequel 'The Boleyn inheritance' both come highly reccommended from me. I was captivated and could put neither down - good job it was the hols!!

em x

I am rereading my Thomas Covenant books - one of my favourites from years back. I am also in the middle of a Bill Bryson but that has been put to the side because I have just got my first lot of Psychology text books to get my teeth into.

I'd like one of these too, Peggy: but I don't suppose they'll have textbooks on there will they? :rolleyes:

Not sure whether you get a choice of the 100 free books or whether they are from a set list. :o However, you can download all your pdf documents, and word (and maybe other text documents) into the ereader.

Take them along to all your training events and "quote" from them to the trainers. xD . Imagine having the EYFS to hand, with easy search facility when your advisory teacher comes in to tell you that you have to write such and such policy, hand them the ereader and ask "Where in the EYFS does it require/ say that?" :wacko: :(

Knowledge is power :(xD

Peggy

(my wicked streak is showing again, me thinks :( )