Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Electrical Equipment Checks

Having a browse round the HSE site and came across a statement saying that there is not a legal obligation to carry out annual electrical equipment checks

Over the years I have paid a fortune for these to be done on an annual basis because I knew Ofsted inspectors would ask for evidence of this. The money could have been more purposefully spent.

Attached are two H&S publications on this matter which you may find useful to add to your H&S files.

Peggy

electrical_equipment_H_S.pdf

maintaining_portable_electrical_equipment.pdf

I was told the same Peggy by the health and safety officer when she did her annual check and yet in the ofsted checked this on our last inspection

My OH's background is in electronical engineering and he always used to check our appliances when I had my nursery and then attach the related "tested" sticker, we never paid anyone. And he always gives our son the job of testing all the equipment at his own work, once a year - he just showed him how to use the "tester" and away he went!

From that, I would suggest that it's good practice to get them tested annually but you don't need to pay a fortune, just get hold of the testing equipment and do it yourself!

Biccy & Wolfie, I had a quick look on the H&S site to get some info for a poster asking about a parent who refuses to put suncream on her child (can't remember posters name). I thought I'd previously read an urban myth on the subject of suncream, but couldn't find it. :rolleyes: (although there was also a Q&A section which stated employers don't have to provide employees with suncream or sunglasses if they are required to work outside, so at least staff can't sue :oxD )

The urban myth section on the site is good so it does enable sunday afternoon 'light reading' :( It's also a good site to get 'risk assessment' into perspective, thus reducing masses of paperwork and therefore leaving all you hardworking lot a bit of freedom from paperwork on a sunday afternoon. xD:(

and if I'm totally honest, my 4 children are not allowed in my 'office' at home, so if I'm on the internet, I'm really just taking a break from them. :wacko: :(

Peggy

The guidance says you can just visually check domestic type equipment ie: kettle etc, no need to have it stamped even. So when Mrs O asks, and it hasn't been 'officially' done, she shouldn't mark you down for it.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)