Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Construction Area

Hi all

Hope i'm not hogging the site! Developing the construction area in Reception and getting concerned looks from many as children may be playing too much!!! :( I am looking for ideas to bring in other areas particularly writing. Any ideas greatfully received! I had a previous post about mobilo and naming parts, great responses thanks, still ongoing here and will post my findings when completed! xD

Thanks so much for all help, i find it's really motivating to have this support :( Pretty obvious addiction developing, Sunday morning, first task and on the forum :o

I have only been using the site for a short while and I need forums anonymous already, so beware!!!!!!!!

As for construction..... how about adding in some builders hats.......... then clipboards and pens?

Police hats and notebooks....... our children loved this last year...........

We built on this and had tape measures, old plans from buildings etc.

Oh....... the reflective jackets with the builders hats goes down well too!!!!!!!!

(IKEA have some cheap ones as do alot of pound shops but they , the pound shop ones, are quite large)

Have a good morning!!

Clipboards always seem to work well in this area. As well as old plans use pictures to stimulate different structures, and provide large pieces of paper for them to draw and possibly label their own. I do find that they usually just want to concentrate on the practical building aspect of construction though. A way round this would be to use the area as a focus activity and plan with the children, encouraging them to record what they are going to do or have done. We have done this successfully drawing our journey to nursery and then building it making roads, landmarks etc. It is also an opportunity to model appropriate language. We have had some wonderful 'work' from this and the children then sometimes choose to record their constructions in this way. Perhaps you could provide a digital camera for them to take pictures with (ICT), print them out, enlarge them to A3 and see if they can label them. Then put them up to see if this stimulates other children to do the same with theirs.

I saw a construction site role play that had a Bob the Builder theme, with LOADS of associated Bob stationery - it really motivated the children, especially the boys, to write!

Maths-

Forming patterns/shapes with blocks, or looking for shapes in their constructions, recording the, the strength of triangles, building bridges, test the strength (science).

Number towers.

Follow this link for an article in Community Playthings, good reading for your 'scepticsl onlookers' :oBLOCKS, MATHS & LITERACY

Have fun xD

Peggy

post-3604-1220776631_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1220776670_thumb.jpg

When my own child was in reception his teacher encouraged him to make drawn plans and label them of his constructions. As stated above he was reluctant really preferring to concentrate on making things. I suggested he was given an exercise book to record them all in which worked well for him as he liked the idea of making a record in the book.

Last year we used the sparkle box resources for their role play building site, set around the story of the three little pigs. We gave the children clipboards to order resources for the building site. Paper to draw plans for buldings. My children loved being given great big pieces of paper/card and white board markers/pens to record their finished buildings, they were encouraged to label their work with the materials used etc.

They could also make estate agents brochures for their finished buildings. We also had a building supply yard where the children filled out purchase orders and then filled the orders, paid for it and took it away.

We had a great time!

Hope this helps,

Sairs

Last year we used the sparkle box resources for their role play building site, set around the story of the three little pigs. We gave the children clipboards to order resources for the building site. Paper to draw plans for buldings. My children loved being given great big pieces of paper/card and white board markers/pens to record their finished buildings, they were encouraged to label their work with the materials used etc.

They could also make estate agents brochures for their finished buildings. We also had a building supply yard where the children filled out purchase orders and then filled the orders, paid for it and took it away.

We had a great time!

Hope this helps,

Sairs

Excellent ideas and i will definitely use them! What would the children order? Also how do the label? Hope you don't mind me asking what may be obvious :o

Maths-

Forming patterns/shapes with blocks, or looking for shapes in their constructions, recording the, the strength of triangles, building bridges, test the strength (science).

Number towers.

Follow this link for an article in Community Playthings, good reading for your 'scepticsl onlookers' :oBLOCKS, MATHS & LITERACY

Have fun xD

Peggy

Fantastic link, much appreciated! :(:(:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)