Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Paint For Outside Area

Hi everyone! We have recently had an outdoor area built for us (a grant from the Welsh assembly). It is mainly grass with two concrete areas and a concrete path. I want to paint the concrete with things like road markings, numbers, shapes etc. What would be the best paint to use? Has anyone else had experience of this? Looking forward to your replies,

Kaybee

Guest Sycamore

You are brave painting them yourself, my free hand would be useless. However I have a book at school (I'm going in tomorrow so I'll jot down the title) that has designs for playgrounds and walls in it. It is designed for you to copy them, so they are easy to see and copy! They must therefore suggest the correct type of paint too. Just be prepared to repaint as they do tend to fade. I'll check back in tomorrow and let you know.

Otherwise off the top of my head I'd use masonry paint, I'm sure this is what I used years ago when we did an outside wall mural. We painted the wall white first and then painted design on top.

Sycamore, I've no intention of painting walls or playgrounds but that sounds like a really interesting book! :D

Kaybee, Ive no experience of outside painting. my head flatly refused to allow us when we suggested it but I think my colleague at the time was suggesting that we use any remenamnts of paints that we could get hold of. Have you tried a Google search for playground paint? Good luck.

We were really lucky to get this area built. What was frustrating was that we would have been given even more money for outside structures such as a climbing frame, decking, seating etc but the owners of the land would only let us have a fence and a shed built in case of vandalism! Never mind, we love our garden and even grass and concrete have endless opportunities!!

• 2 weeks later...

HI Kaybee I was looking for paint in B&Q and there was some line marking paint on the shelf!

Looked to me as if it was what you might need but it was quite expensive-310 a can. It came in a range of colours white, blue, green, yellow and red I think.

It was in a aerosol can & seemed to be able to be used upside down!

Thank you Susan! I will go down and look at the weekend. Hubby has been nagging me to go and look at laminate flooring and paint colours but I don't seem to have time to think about that at the moment! This way we will both be happy!!

Kaybee

Talking about B&Q (probably a sep. topic elsewhere) has anyone tried the coloured play sand? I have sent my "better" half out tomorrow with his works van to get 2 bags of purple, 2 green and 2 of any other colour he can see there.

All I really need to know is whether it maight stain clothing. We did buy cheap bottles of sand to use in the spot tray but when the kids leant on it, their elbows or knees turned blue!!!!!

I have organised for the sand to be in a quiet corner, dry and clear of other debris, so that it can be sieved and cleaned, then returned to the tray.

Having a dept budget that we maintain ourselves has meant we look at things much more closely.

Janet

I didnt know it could be bought in huge bags and the small containers are really expensive. I'll look into that, thanks Janet. Our old playleader made some once but I dont clean my oven as it is so I'm not going to make extra work for myself! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)