Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anyone Work In A Mixed Age Setting?

Does anyone on here work in a setting that puts 2 yr olds - 4 yr olds in the same room? How does it work in your experience? We are considering it as an option but I would really welcome anyone's experience. I read an article in Nursery World that seemed quite pro the idea as the younger children benefit from being with the older.

I personaly feel that it is better for the children of this age range to be in a mixed group than being seperated. If we think about the make up of families, these ages mix together at home, why not at their preschool/nursery setting? Children as we know learn from their environment, be it the younger child role modeling the older one or the older child learning empathy, others point of view from being around younger children who are more egocentric than them. The older ones learn compassion and understanding, helpfulness etc. And without being too 'age' stereotypical, consider that all children whatever age bring different experiences, ideas, fun to the group of peers who they mix with. xD

Considerations when mixing ages would be towards resources offered/available to cover the range, H&S, and a differentiated curriculum experience (which we do all the time anyway :o )

Peggy

Hi

We have both 2 and 4 year olds together. We do sometimes have the odd child who is scared of the older ones but on the whole it works well. We also have a small quiet area where the little ones can come for some peace with an adult.

Our setting takes 2 1/2 year olds to school age and they all mix throughtout the session. When sorting key person groups we do keep them age related as it is nice for the whole key group to go to school together and is easier for teacher visits. Also we had different assessment files for Foundation Stage and Birth to three (but that is no longer an issue)

Hi

We offer daycare from 8.30 - 6pm. Each key worker has a baby, a toddler and a pre-school age child in their family group. They sit together at lunchtimes and at small group times, otherwise the children mix together. We take children from 7 months - 5 years. We have made quiet areas and areas for imobile babies, we also have a separate area in our outdoor space for imobile babies, this was recomended by Ofsted. Our key worker system is based on attachment theory.

We've got a fulltime day nursery in our Children's Centre with only two rooms - 0-2 years and 2-5 years. It works fine!

Ours is CC provision too Wolfie. So it's great to know that others find it works as we need the provision to be good quality. Do the parents like the idea or do you have to do a bit of work to get them on board?

Mine was 9am -3pm, in the south east, Kent, but closed my preschool in Dec 07 :( (otherwise I would have welcomed a visit :o )

Wendles, love the 'family' grouping ethos and attachment theory principles. xD

Peggy

I have 2 nurseries and one does and one does not purely because of size etc. I have to say it works very well mixing the ages and we do have a quiet room if things get too much but the older children bring the others on and get on well.

When we first started our day care setting we separated the hall into 2 areas- however the younger children always tried to find a way to escape into the 3 year old area of the hall!!! We approached the parents/carers about opening up the hall to accommodate such an age range and they were happy to do so.

We have not looked back since and have had a good ofsted report.

We all sit together for lunch :o we love this the older children encourage the younger ones to sit and after they finish lunch the children choose a book and sit and look thro' it xD

I totally agree with Peggy - you never segregate your children at home and in all wakes of life there are going to be different age gaps - it's how we as practitioners accommodate/interpret these gaps in the Early Years Sector that will enable children to develope at their own special pace :( I think I have gone on toooooooooooooooooo much tonight!!!

I REALLY LOVE THE DIVERSITY!!! AND IT WORKS WELL WITHIN OUR SETTING...soz 2 go on :(

we are mixed as well, and works brilliantly. the children respond so well. im in the south east missA not sure how south east you are looking for though, im in kent

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)