Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staffing Ratios

Hi - I'm currently teaching in a Reception class in a combined school. The class has twelve reception aged children and also has nine nursery children. For the last two years I have had a permanent classroom assistant. There are three assistants in the school. However, due to unavoidable budget cuts the school has to let one assistant go. I am hoping that someone might be able to tell me if there are any legal requirements relating to staff-child ratios in a class like mine so that I might be able to make a case for keeping at least part of my very valued helper! :o

Hi Patsy,

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when I opened my nursery four years ago, I was told I would be able to open a nursery school, with a ratio of 2:20, or I could open a preschool/nursery with a ratio of 1:6! (This has now changed to 1:4 for under-threes, and 1:8 for over-threes). I think it is unjustifiable for you to run a class of such young children with little ancillary support. Have you approached your union?

Hi Helen,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. You have cheered me up! I had a vague recollection that I had read somewhere that the staffing:child ratio for Reception should be 1:13. However, this is a very vague recollection and I cannot remember where I might have seen it! If you or anyone else knows of ruling written in 'black and white' it would be helpful. I will contact my union as you suggest - a good idea!! Thanks again.

The ratio is 13:1 for children under 5 and can be found in the Children Act (can't remember the year). Some LEAS also have their own policy which reduces this to 10:1 so it is worth checking what you LEA guidelines are. But you should definately have your support full time becasue of the 9 nursery children so if your is taken away, I would speak to your advisor and then your union. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Hi Mundia,

Thnks for your reply. I have studied the Children's Act 1989, but I cannot find reference to adult-child ratios in there - quite poosible I missed any reference as it is quite long! I have also attempted to look at Bucks LEA policy for schools, but as yet have had no luck. I shall contact my union tomorrow - if I get a clear result I shall let everyone know!! Thanks once again for your interest.

• 3 months later...
Hi Mundia,

Thnks for your reply. I have studied the Children's Act 1989, but I cannot find reference to adult-child ratios in there - quite poosible I missed any reference as it is quite long! I have also attempted to look at Bucks LEA policy for schools, but as yet have had no luck. I shall contact my union tomorrow - if I get a clear result I shall let everyone know!! Thanks once again for your interest.

Patsy if you don't get to keep your assisant full time why not put a diary outside your class room and ask parents to help on a rota ??Collecting some friends children one day (I'm semi retired!) noticed a diary which a lot of parents had signed up and now I go in once a week.Great fun.Now really appreicate the work that you all do. :o:D

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I think requesting parent help is a nice idea and will benefit the children, the obligation in funding the appropriate number of trained professionals to work within the legal ratios must lie with the LEA. If the ratio for 3 year olds is 1:8 in nurseries, it should be the case in your setting, Patsy, shouldn't it?!! :D I don't have any legal knowledge about this as I haven't come across this nursery/reception class mix before. Can anyone else throw light on this one?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)