Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Medium Term Planning

Ok, as promised in a previous thread, I am attching my medium term plans for Autumn 1. It was suggested by several members that it would be useful to share planning, so that we could lighten our own work load by taking ideas from other people and adapting plans to suit our own setting.

These plans were initially downloaded from a site on the internet (will have to search to get the correct address - will try & let you know) by the previous reception teacher, I have amended them to suit my own needs, but have kept the same format, which I find very useful.

Please don't be afraid to let me have you comments, I am about to start my 2nd year of teaching and would value any contributions and constructive advice as I am still on a steep learning curve and still trying out lots of different methods of doing things.

They are plans in progress and I haven't looked at them for a few weeks, so I may still make adjustments and I need to fill out the weekly pacer. Anyway, hope they are useful to you and please don't forget to share your planning too. Sharing planning will only help if we all do it!! :o

Autumn_Term_1_OURSELVES.doc

Very excited as I have found some templates that I think many of you will find extremely useful. These are not my own, again Ithink they were found on the internet and I am afraid that I cannot locate the website, but I thought they were too valuable to exclude. Hope you agree! :D

Foundation_planning_grids.doc

HI Shelley, thanks for those.

I have seen and probably adated some of that already but alot of good stuff that was out there seems to be disappearing or becoming password protected, so could be very useful. Dont remember the sources though!

I used a very similar format to one of those for medium term planning, which is posted in the members section although I definitely adapted it!

Personally I have tried to steer away from specific literacy and numeracy only planners as I find thye have a tendency to make the activities too foramlised and become an unnecessary workload. Your energy nneds to go into the delivery not the planning! Although that is not to say that you can deliver without an element of planning and I do like to try and keep to some sort of structure re NLS & NNS to ensure coverage.

I recognise those planning documents. They look very much like the ones developed by our EY advisory teacher with help from myself among others. How funny! :D

In fact now I've looked at my files they are the same! I'ld be really interested to know where they are posted.

The plans are from.....

www.norfolkesinet.org.uk/pages/viewpage.asp?uniqid=2158

I found them during a web searching session and am sure I put up the address on another planning discussion. :o

I am using them also this year and have added in the green stepping stones... makes the document longer but shows previous steps... a bit more apprpriate for those just starting school we decided.

I wish everyone well with the new term approaching and hope you all had a good summer holiday.

L

Ourselves_Autumn1.doc

Thank goodness you knew where they are from! :D As I said previously, it was the previous rec teacher who downloaded them, so I had no idea!

Lorna, I like what you have done with the green stepping stones, particularly important at the start of the academic year. I shall see if I can copy them into my planning. Thanks for sharing. I am currently trying to sort all my planning out (1 week to go!) and as I have changed my weekly format, I am beginning to get my knickers in a twist. It is great to see other planning as it gives you more ideas and is also reassuring that we are on the same wavelength!! :o

Susan, I am lucky that I don't teach to NNS & NLS ( :D )so I don't do individual weekly plans just for them, but I agree with your points about not using them.

Thank you both so much for these planning formats.

Lots of different ideas for us to look at Shelley.

My biggest problem is that we are setting up an EY Unit so we really need all levels of stepping stones!!

I will also be teaching the Reception age for the first time for 13 years so was really getting bogged down with planning!!!

I'm really glad that others don't do separate lit/num plans as I hadn't planned to either.

I notice that these plans have a separate column for spontaneous ongoing learning, but how do you cope with this in your Short term plans?

I thought we would have a separate sheet with the specific resouces that we will provide that chn. might use during CI play which can be annotated.

How do people go about this? It seemed so much simpler when I worked in the Nursery!!!

This site just gets better. Sharing plans is excellent. I will be brave and post mine tomorrow. Please bear in mind that I too am just approaching my 2nd year of teaching and plannuing has been very hit and miss.

We all do lots differently but one thing common to many classes up and down the land seems to be the 'Ourselves' topic. I will post mine (med) and also include the other 2 terms (our environment / summer ) from last year. I would welcome you input and do recognise that they are far from ideal. Like I said they were done in my first year.

On the short term planning topic I could even brave to post the weekly plans ...............

(Can't do it now as not got plans with me!)

Karen

Hi Magenta, for me the spontaneous and ongoing learning was not detailed in planning because it was there, in routines and activities that take place all the time. So telling the children the day of the week and developing the sequence of days etc (as we do) would be 'Sense of Time', and might at a later stage be more specifically planned for within your topic.

I spent ages working out what I thought fitted where one summer but once done it doesnt change much and I found it invaluable as it really is important to acknowledge all that you do has a place and a purpose. Writing all those little things into your short term planning is not only tedious and time comusing but also boring. Save your energy for more important things!!

I also used some brilliant material that was once on CLEO but again seems to have disappeared to help me with this, although I personalised their material considerably.

Catma, I think those plans were originally on Southwark, not sure they are now though! As you are in South London, would that make sense?

Thanks for that Susan, I think I really am trying to put too much into my planning. We came out of Special Measures in January and so are still in the 'write everything down' mode.

We're due for our next visit in 12 months time and really want to get the Unit working really well by then.

Guest JudithU

Thank you very much to all those people who so kindly put their planning on the forum. I was beginning to tear my hair out as I was trying to do much of it from scratch.I had no proforma to even start! I will now be able to have a good look at them all and make my mind up about what I am going to do. Thanks a lot and all the best to everyone for the start of the new school year. :)

Makes a lot of sense Susan, cos that's where I am! Have used them as a basis for years and also had input into them. :)

The LEA web site was completely changed a while back when Education was taken over by WS Atkins and then CEA, so we lost them on the site. However I've just looked at the norfolk link and they are our plans!! How wierd to see your own work popping up in a different place!

Just to back up what Susan said, I don't include spontaneous & ongoing activities in my short term planning - check out some of the short term plans in the different threads, there are a variety for reception & nursery which you could adapt to suit you. Good luck!

I promised yesterday that I would post my plans so here goes. I'm back home and working straight away (although this forum provides a good 'justified' diversion!). I have done plans for the whole term. i know I will need to adapt them at half term for the 2nd half of the autumn term but I like to do a term at a time so that I have some idea of the way the topic is going to work over the whole term. I do lit and num (very basic) plans sperate to the rest. My lit should include key words- I am sure I put them on but they seem to have disppeared; another job for me to do!

Hope they are of some interst to some of you and not too confusing! :o

aut2_med.doc

Thanks to everyone who has posted their planning. It is my first year in Rec after many years in nursery. Shelley do you really cover that much in a term? Gosh I have so much to look at.

To be honest....no!!!

Last year (being my first) I was very ambitous, and it's only when I start to do my short term planning & working out logistics of people and time (plus any events e.g.book week) that I actually work out what is achievable. They are only suggested activities after all... :o

I am lucky though, as I am extremely well supported and for the first half term at least, I have 2 full time assistants for my sole use!! We are therefore obviously able to cover a greater amount of activities. (I know it sounds a lot, I am very lucky, but I do have some children with quite severe behavioural problems - if that makes it any easier for you to swallow!)

Thank you to the kind people who have shared their planning. It has helped me put my mind at rest that i am doing the right thing and given me some excellent ideas. Especially as i will be teaching a pure reception class for the first time in 4 years and i was struggling to get out of the planning for 3 year groups frame of mind. Once I have found my feet again i shall be posting my plans.

Well done and thanks to all those who have posted their planning.

Is there anyone who would be willing to share planning for Reception/Year 1 please? I am still struggling with this after planning for two separate groups for many years. I am okay (well, almost) with Literacy and Numeracy but would like to see how people plan for other activities and how they organise focus groups and time allocation.

Have a good term everyone! :oxD

Here is my medium term planning for the first half of the Autumn term. Literacy and Numeracy are missing because i am using the Hamilton Trust medium term planning. Physical Development and Outdoo planner are in development because my new school has had building work over the summer and equipment has disappeared!!!!

medium_term_plan_autumn_1_ourselves.doc

Here is my medium term planning for the first half of the Autumn term. Literacy and Numeracy are missing because i am using the Hamilton Trust medium term planning. Physical Development and Outdoo planner are in development because my new school has had building work over the summer and equipment has disappeared!!!!

Brilliant plans! I've had a good look at them. It's when you read things written by others that you thing 'oh yeah, can't believe I forgot about that'.

I'm not at the stage of being able to provide any plans for anyone to look at yet. I use school long and medium term plans to work from, and then do my own short term plans. Trying to link together FS and KS1 is becoming a daily nightmare for me!

Keep up the good work everyone and I promise to share later on in the term or year!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)