Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Romans! ~ Any Ideas?!?!?

My friend is just starting her first Year Two post and has been told that she will be having to teach th topic of the Roman's. Does anyone have any ideas about what she could cover?!? Apparently it is going to be a whole school focus so it needs to be appropriate to this age.

Thanks in anticipation of your help!!!

There is a QCA unit but Romans is for yrs 3/4 under invaders as a theme here

She will also need to talk to the humanities coordinator about what the content should be for the year group. Or if an NQT her mentor/teacher tutor. A knowledge of previous history themes taught will help make links and connections.

Cx

Edited by catma

Hi

I used to teach the romans with my year 2 class, mainly went for the Boudicca link. They really love the role play side of things and used to bring in as much 'craft type' activities as posible.

Had competitions for the best shield, made roman helmits, used to have 'digs' set up in the sand box too. Hope this helps.

................sorry about my Monty Python moment!!

mosaics are good too............you could get your community artist to come in to complete a project with the children, which would last for years (maybe a theme linked to the setting you're in?), or the children could make them from paper, we did it with our pre-schoolers, using paper which they painted in plain colours, then cut up by themselves (some very wobbly tesserae after that, but good fun!) and stuck onto pictures they had drawn..........you could also use magazine pictures, cut into squares, which can look very effective

how about making their own 'Roman sandles' from very thick card and plain leather thonging (or ribbon might work?)

set up your own senate with the senators and governors dressed in togas, they can create new laws for the people!

Look at Hadrian's wall, and some of the artefacts found there (they have recently discovered some wooden letters, written on sheets of wood) and are you close enough to any Roman sites to consider a visit, to bring the history 'alive'?

• 4 weeks later...

I taught year 3 and we did the romans. We had a roman party where kids dressed as romans and teachers celts. Made food with roman theme e.g stuffed doormice, slingshot cakes etc. Had entertainers and slaves. If you want more details get back to me and i will give more info! Fabulous day. Linked to all areas of curriculum in the activities! :o

Playmobil current theme is Romans maybe the school could invest??

playmobil roman sets

The Arena is lovely but expensive.I'm sure you could make your own ala Blue Peter and just get a few of the cheaper figures???

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)