Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Monkey Business!

We've been to Twycross Zoo today - me, hubby, our 13 year old daughter and the 8mth old baby boy I childmind. A fabulous day for all and a truly magical moment in The Tropical House.

Entry to The Tropical House is by (free) timed tickets to avoid overcrowding. We saved it until last and I'm so glad we did. There are iguana, a sloth, tropical birds, turtles and fruit bats and butterflies free flying. Plus Marmoset monkeys!!

We were at the front of the group and while waiting for everyone to catch up my hubby suddenly pointed out a baby Marmoset sitting on the handrail no more than 10 inches from the baby in the pushchair, at his eye level. Instantly they made eye contact and for 3 or 4 minutes stared, unblinking into each others eyes.

You just KNEW they were communicating on the most intense level. It was absolutely amazing!

It lasted until people arriving disturbed the monkey and it scampered away. We'll certainly never forget it and will be fascinated to find out in years to come whether baby J remembers it.

Sadly this is the one part of the zoo that forbids photography and/or videoing as it upsets the animals so we were only able to share it verbally with his parents. (well, that and the cuddly marmoset toy I just HAD to buy for him in the gift shop :o

Nona

its in warwickshire M.............. :o

Know what you mean Nona - We went to 2 zoos over the hols : Dudley which was quite sad - run down but had some beautiful animals - baby mearcats were the best - spent an hour watching 3 10 day old babies playing.

Then we went to Drayton Manor park - beautiful well kept zoo - and spent 2 hours watching 2 baby monkeys - could have spent all day watching them - facinating..... xD

twycross is on the A444, just off J11 M42.

Dudley is the closest zoo to us but it is quite sad and dispiriting isn't it? Friends visited it this week and were shocked at the cost - entry for 2 adults & 1 child was £35 + £3 parking. They were very disappointed at the end of the day. Our day out cost £25 and was quite simply BRILLIANT! Still a hot topic of conversation & Baby J's parents are planning a quick return visit to see it for themselves!

Nona