Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play

Hello -

Was wondering if someone can give me some advice. We have a new children's centre on our site and the manager seems to be under the impression the foundation stage playground is now hers. She has mentioned to other staff (not myself as manager) that she will give out a timetable for usage!

I understand that she is representing 'health' but I think I need some good evidence to give to her to show we must have access to outdoor play freely also. Is it in writing anywhere - any official time recommendations - someone mentioned to me that kids should be outside for 50% of their day but can't find any evidence to support this. Have also checked EYFS docs and have had no luck.

Please help - I dont want our nursery and reception tots to miss out (100+ chdn).

Cheers

Edited by Guest

Access to outdoors is supposed to be free flow.

Children can then decide for themselves when and how much time they want to be outdoors.

Our very first Ofsted we got slated for having set times to use the play ground.......

Now MANY years on we have an outdoor area that is ours alone, and is fenced off from the main play area and the children are in or out to suit themselves.

I don't know where to direct you to get this info in writing but the childrens centre person is very wrong to expect you to use a timetable for the area!!!!!!

I think she needs to fit in with you guys who were using it first!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She also needs to read the EYFS guidelines......... she will find she is wrong to try and timetable your children's time out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to your Head...... he won't want the foundation stage suffering in an ofsted because of being pushed into something you didn't want to do!!

Good luck.

Be bold!

Thanks Scarlettangel - but our head already does not get on with the manager at all. Thanks for advice and will pass EYFS framework her way!!!

Jacqui

Access to outdoors is supposed to be free flow.

Children can then decide for themselves when and how much time they want to be outdoors.

Our very first Ofsted we got slated for having set times to use the play ground.......

Now MANY years on we have an outdoor area that is ours alone, and is fenced off from the main play area and the children are in or out to suit themselves.

I don't know where to direct you to get this info in writing but the childrens centre person is very wrong to expect you to use a timetable for the area!!!!!!

I think she needs to fit in with you guys who were using it first!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She also needs to read the EYFS guidelines......... she will find she is wrong to try and timetable your children's time out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to your Head...... he won't want the foundation stage suffering in an ofsted because of being pushed into something you didn't want to do!!

Good luck.

Be bold!

Guest Wolfie

And she shouldn't just be representing "health" either - what's happened to her holisitic view of the needs of children??!

Is there anyway that YOU could instigate discussions and meetings with her start to build a more positive relationship if your head isn't keen? It would be a real shame to start off on a bad footing - you never know, it might just be a simple misunderstanding! :o

Good luck - let us know how you get on and if you need more ammunition! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)