Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help New To Nursery!

:o HELP ME PLEASE!

i have been on maternity leave and am being moved to nursery next week. i was in year 1 for a few years. cant wait but am very nervous! concerning the baseline assessment...

1 - do you assess/plan against profile point 1?

2 - do you do much actual teaching in the first few weeks, or just concentrate on setting routines and boundaries etc. and set up the room to accommodate the basseline assessment? or should i set up little lessons ie number songs and then leave out activities for the children to access while i do observations/assessment. i am probably bein dim and obvious..but i need to ask anyway!! please help x

Hi cupcakeyum. Sorry I can't help you, I'm pre-school.

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and to say that I'm sure that someone who can help you will be along soon. Meanwhile perhaps you may find what you're looking for if you do a 'forum search', which you can find on the right-hand side of your screen at the top. :o

Hello there and welcome!

Consider "baseline" as finding out from the children what they are competent at doing - the best way is through observation of their attitudes and behaviours within a well resourced learning environment. It will take a bit of time as this is not an instant kind of assessment and you can't really "test" them as such. Get stuck in with them and then you can match their achievements to the EYFS framework. I would argue against using the EYFSP scale points on principle as they are for the end of the Foundation stage rather than at this point. Children may not have met the first points yet - it doesn't mean they haven't achieved, which the eyfs will help you define in terms of the ages/stages. Otherwise we can start off with a negative, defecit opinion of the child's capabilities at this early transitional stage in their development.

Good luck though!

Cx

Edited by catma

Hello and welcome xD

You don't seem to have been given much notice of this change of age range, especially as you will be working with EYFS rather than NC which you are familiar with. No doubt you will rise to the challenge though. :o :wacko:

Totally agree with Catma, initial assessments of where the children are at will take a little time. Time for you to get to know the children and time for the children to settle and get to know you and their new environment.

Do you have reports from previous settings? These may indicate what interests the individual children have as well as an idea of each child level. These levels (where they were at end of July) may not show until the children have settled with you, and some children may have progressed in different areas during the last 6 wks holiday too.

Congratulations on your new baby, :( maybe you could introduce your baby, even with photo's, with a new term starter theme of all about us (the children and you). :(

Have fun :(

Peggy

:o i love that idea...especially as i could talk about him all day! thanks for the advice x

Hello and welcome :(

You don't seem to have been given much notice of this change of age range, especially as you will be working with EYFS rather than NC which you are familiar with. No doubt you will rise to the challenge though. xDxD

Totally agree with Catma, initial assessments of where the children are at will take a little time. Time for you to get to know the children and time for the children to settle and get to know you and their new environment.

Do you have reports from previous settings? These may indicate what interests the individual children have as well as an idea of each child level. These levels (where they were at end of July) may not show until the children have settled with you, and some children may have progressed in different areas during the last 6 wks holiday too.

Congratulations on your new baby, :( maybe you could introduce your baby, even with photo's, with a new term starter theme of all about us (the children and you). :(

Have fun :wacko:

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)