Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Success Criteria

i feel shairng 'nicely' isnot an objective term. We were always told that all assements, observations adn targets must be cldar and objecive not waffly and objective.

Still haven't come up with criteria but when it comes to sharing and taking turns butwould it not have to cover different contexts?

For example two children playing dominoes may do so successfully in that there was no 'fall out' they shared the dominoes and took turns, all in all a positve experience for them both - they would then have achieved the criteria that I can't specify right now. BUT the same children in a larger group may be unable or unwilling to wait their turn if four children played. Or a child may happily wait their turn in one activity with great regularity but not do so in other situations. I can think of one child who waits happily for his turn in most things except snack time - he finds it really really hard to wait for the fruit to be offered to him.

I agree with the suggestion that what they do today may not be evident the next day or week so how many incidences of success would there need to be before they are considered to have reached the criteria.

Don't know if this makes any sense and I am not trying to criticise the idea of SC at all, I think it's a great idea just can't quite get to grips with it at the moment!

Learning intention/knowledge/skills/attitude

To be able to work as part of a group or class, taking turns and sharing fairly, understanding that there need to be agreed values and code of behaviour.

This has been taken from Planning for progress 2 An early years curriculm framwork produced by Tower Hamlets Early Years Service

ISBN 1 873928 36 X

£20 + £5 P&P

TEL 020 8983 1944

email info@learningdesign.org

I based all my long term planning on this document, at our recent inspection the Ofsted inspectors thought my long term planning was excellent.

I am glad to see everyone else finding it all so tricky too! :(

Helen I think you did a great job in breaking the LI down and analysing the different aspects. What I find so interesting is that we expect the children to be able to achieve, or at least attempt our learning intentions, with particular attention on social skills in reception, and yet we find it hard to actually describe what it is we are looking for. If we find it hard, it's no wonder the children do!!

I agree Geraldine that it can depend on the context of the activity, but is there a definitive guide? :o I'd love to be able to put up a poster with guidelines for sharing/taking turns (which would be SC) and refer to these regularly. I've had a go, but it is sooo hard!

L.I. To share

* Ask before taking

* Remember your manners

* Wait patiently

* Be fair and share

It's hard because you have to think about the person wanting the object & the person giving it up!!! Not sure whether this works, but would be grateful for constructive feedback!!

Thanks for your input too Mimi - is there an actual website where sample materials can be viewed?

Keep them coming! xD

You've really hit the nail on the head, Shelley. We know what we're looking for most of the time, but it IS hard to put it into words, isn't it? :o This is a really interesting thread. I haven't thought much along these lines since the first blast of "what are learning intentions?" courses about a hundred years ago.........ie why do we want the children to do this activity? We want them to learn XXX, etc. Thanks for starting this off (and redirecting the chat back to the topic!!!) :)

Success criteria for sharing is a difficult one and I think will be different with regard to age / stage of development, context and the disposition of each child.

In the case of a child snatching from another we encourage the following;

Child 1 wants the item....child 2 has the item.

Encourage child 1 to ask child 2 "can I have ......... when you are finished, please"

( child 1 learns to consider that the child with the item may not be ready to share it yet)

Encourage child 2 to respond to child 1, normally 99 times out of 100, the answer is "yes" ( Child 1 gets a positive response, child 2 begins to recognise that another child is waiting)

Adult role: praise for asking instead of snatching, affirm to child 1 that they will have the item soon.

In a while remind child 2 that they said child 1 could have the item when they are finished. ( on reminder, in my experience child 2 will often hand the item over- possibly to do with the amount of time a child will play with one thing before deciding to move onto another item - interest level - plus they feel in control of when to finish with it rather than being told, hand it over "that's sharing")

When child 2 hands over item encourage child 1 to say thank you and reaffirm with child 1 that if you ask, and wait, you will get.

so SC similar to Shelley

1. Ask - manners ( but don't take)

2. wait ( and be aware that others are waiting)

3. manners

Another scenario I had was when we had 6 bikes but 8 children wanting a turn.

I explained that for me as an adult to choose who would be 1st was unfair, so asked the children who should go 1st- as you guessed they all said "me". I then encouraged them to think about their friends ie: Ana if you go 1st, will that be fair for Sue? I then asked them to think and problem solve - one child decided ( through actions) she got her name from the name board, others followed six names were pulled from a box and the others happily went to scenario one asking their friends when you are finished can I have the bike please........

SC

1. Stop and think about the situation with adult support

2. problem solve together - thinking about others

3. agree on a solution together

4. follow agreed solution

I work with children aged from 2 - 4 yrs. We start the dialogue from day one, it is amazing how quick children pick up the dialogue either with body language / adult support or independently. The older children encourage the younger ones to follow the "sharing" dialogue.

Peggy

I think with the area PSE when deciding success criteria all staff need to agree their definition of the goal ie: sharing. Values and principles will be different with regard to any "attitudes" we wish the children to develop.

I have seen some adults believe sharing is 'give to the other person, you've had it long enough'.

Don't snatch "thats not sharing" when snatching often means I haven't got the language to say I would like to play with that.

Children will often say "that's mine" when asked to share because they haven't learnt yet that preschool / school equipment is for everybody.

By deciding clearly what our definitions and values are we will have clear criteria and not ambiguous ( unmeasurable) terms such as "nicely" or "patiently".

Peggy

A child colouring over what he has taken care to draw- surely that must be his schema!!!! :o

Hi Leo

Your message struck a chord. I had observed a child paint a picture of a person. Whilst he was painting very carefully I asked him who the picture was. He replied 'Mum' I then continued to discreetly watch him as he he painted over his picture with a blue paint. I did not ask him at the time why he had painted over his picture at the time as I did not want him to feel that his actions were wrong. When I mentioned this to the teaching assistant he reaction was that he must not be allowed to ruin his pictures in this way. Not the reaction I expected, and after a discussion we were able to agree that we would observe and talk to the child at his next painting/ creative acitivity to find out his responses to his work and creative actions. I have heard the term 'schemas'mentioned before and am wondering if anyone can help me or direct me to information regarding schemas which I can understand and share with my TA before we have sessions where creativy is stifled by myself or others inadvertently.

Please help (know you will!!!)

Lisa

• 6 months later...

What has happened to this thread - I was just getting into it! We are just entering into the world of Learning intentions and Success criteria at our school and I've been struggling to keep up! I've done a learning wall and have a puppet who tells everyone what the maths learning intention is every week. How far does it go? Should we be doing this for every aspect of the classroom every day? I asked our primary strategy consultant and she said "no" just select a couple of areas. What do you think?

heyjude (after a long time away!)

Hi heyjude -

Good to hear from you again!

Sometimes these conversations die down a little, and wait for someone like you to re-ignite them. Let's see what happens here! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)