Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ourselves Numeracy And Literacy Ideas!

Hi Everybody!

My topic this term is Ourselves/Autumn and I seem to have lots and lots of lovely ideas for CD, PD, KUW and PSED but am struggling with ideas for numeracy adn literacy! I am in a school setting in a reception class, nearly all of whom have attended the school's nursery so already know most of their letter sounds and numbers. As my school is private there is a strong focus on producing written work for both these subjects, as it is what the parents want to see. I do not really agree with this principle, but that is beside the point as obviously I must do what the headteacher has advised. Can anybody think of any fun activities (especially for literacy) that can be done in an exercise book (yes, I know!). I'm thinking cut and stick activities maybe or sentence building. These just dont seem fun to me! Can anybody help? I'm going mad!

Thanks!

:o your headteacher and parents need re-educating then! and, if those activities, don't seem like fun to you, how are you going to enthuse the children? (sorry, I have my bluntly honest head on tonight!!)

But, there are several ideas that spring to mind:

the children could do hand/foot printing...and then cut them out (by themselves), and use them to measure things.........eg, how many hand prints to measure the doorway/sand tray/dressing up mirror......and could write these down somewhere

they could use other non-standard measures, say, fir cones, twigs, leaves to measure with,

consider displacement by dropping heavy objects into a bucket of water which is standing in a tray, so they can measure the amount of water which poured out of the bucket?

Freeze water and observe how it changes when taken out of the freezer?

what about symmetry..........give them a safety mirror and let them see half of an object(or themselves) and draw the other half

what about taking them on a nature walk, to observe trees changing colour?bug hunting........how many ladybirds/woodlice/butterflies etc, and they could record these (themselves)on a graph??

family trees........who is in my family.....draw/write about them

and they could write for a purpose by making their own labels for all these things

we did family trees... this was a great success... the children all brought in photo's from home, which we shared at circle time, made tress from callage materials and then stuck on their photo's on the branches, they added their own writing underneath each photo, then added some flowers made from different coloured tissue paper... children loved this activity.. The children then took a photo of their tree to go in thier books.. then took their family tree home...

Thanks those ideas are great! I love the idea of the family trees and measuring objects in feet or hands! I love this forum there are so many nice people on here who are willing to help! Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated! Especially ideas that involve writing for the children! I like the idea of taking photos of the work to put in books rather than getting the children to write in the books themselves. it's much more workable!

Thanks!

It doesn't have to all come through the theme either - you could have problem starting points for maths - I wonder how many conkers (it will be conker season soon!!) we could fit into this box?? get the chn to find ways of working this out and then test their hypotheses, evaluate etc.

There's a cat stuck in the tree, how can we get him down?

How many ways can we make an ice cream cone using 2 flavours of ice cream/3 flavours etc etc

Literacy for me often came from the books we were reading and we did a lot of book making (from sewn and bound to simple origami folding) and captured our ideas that way. Look at the skills for CLLD/PSRN that you want children to develop and work from that starting point rather than the activity and then seeing what comes out as it doesn't match need to possible outcomes if you do it the latter way.

Cx

hi there linking to ourselves and senses feely name cards for them to practise their name-bdays are a good one for number. i send home a book for the children to use with their parents which is called all about me they can write, draw picts, stick photos in etc then they bring it into school and we share it together-its great for the language side. Also to help with writing we send a bear home each night the children take care of him and record their experiences whatever way they want-we have had photos and gifts brought in he even went to a wedding- parents love it again great for language. knock knock whose there/i spy books are a good one for writing and alphabet etc children can tqke a photo of person /object then attempt write hope these ideas help

nic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)