Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Group Planning And Obs

Help please

ok i am getting my head aroung planning and observing individual children there has been some fantastic ideas on this site and i think we are on the right lines. My question is what do you do for the group as a whole. Do you follow a set plan of covering different elg's for instance during cirlcle time or a planned activity. If so how do you then record your obs and transfer to each individual record.

I'm thinking during a circle time maths activity you see how many children can recognise any numbers do you do this with everyone or just the individual chiild you are focusing on that week.

sorry to ramble hope this makes sense to someone.

angela

During circle time we have a member of staff leading and another with a observation sheet(ours is on a clipboard), just to observe and take notes, we do this on any / all children on 1 sheet , it just has a 2 columns for name and then room for an observation, allowing quick notes , we may have a focus written on the top but anything noteworthy is written on it, Key person uses it each week and adds to child's records and if needed feeds in any further next steps, Sometimes it is only a few children other times many can have notes written about them.

Once used to it we now find whenever there is a group activity someone will pick up the clipboard and add to it, as the person doing the activity with the children really cannot record and or remember as well as concentrate on the children.

we are also using a sheet with speech bubbles on it for language during an activity, Center has a space for what is being observed and then each bubble has space for name of child and room to write their comment.. we made them on word and have different numbers of bubbles on them.

works well when asking for how they think we could do something, so we can try it out, or just their comments about something, usually during a focus activity but can be used at any time,

we add comments like what question staff asked or their response as well.. reading them back is really interesting..

we either cut them up and put them into books for each child or just copy it across to books. we often have these on the learning wall with a picture for parents to see, they really like them.

Inge

your ideas sound great

Hear Hear! :-)

I love the idea of a speech bubble sheet - and it will be such a time saver to just chop them up for record books!

Genius!

x

Hear Hear! :-)

I love the idea of a speech bubble sheet - and it will be such a time saver to just chop them up for record books!

Genius!

x

You can get A4 size sticky labels, print the speech bubbles on these labels, cut and 'easily' stick into record books, place on displays etc. (saves trying to find the pritt stick that hasn't dried up :oxD )

You can get them from most stationary suppliers such as staples / vikings etc cost approx £5-£7 for 100 sheets.

Another tip; when printing using label sheets, change printer settings to 'label' paper, if you don't the ink doesn't sdhere very well and may fade off.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)