Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Community Link

Hi i'm after inspiration as part of year 2 of the degree we have to set up a link with the outside community.... i'm really struggling for an idea... it has to be someone we don't already have a link with... we already have a link with library, police, nurse, health visitor, fire service, dentist, vets, road safety.... i did think about the library but we are so far from one it would be really hard to get the children there.... i just can't think of anyone else... has anyone got any ideas.... i have to write 5000 words on this .... help!!!

Linking up with you local postman is always a good idea. Our main office accepts visits from schools but we have also had a postman come into school to talk to the children. They loved this because we then wrote letters and walked to the post box to post them.

Other ideas are lolly pop lady, local farmer, local restaurant - if you have a pizza express they take groups of chidlren to make pizzas, and you get to eat them in the restuarant it's brilliant

I have just approached members of our local gardening club, to come and help us make a garden with the children.......................very positive reaction from them so far.Lots of ideas, including a sensory patch, with nice, smelly plants such as lavender and buddliea to attract insects, and things such as tomato plants etc, so we can eat some produce we have grown ourselves.One of the members has loads of Alpine strawberries, which are tiny and fabulous, so that'll be a treat.And yes, we're going to attempt to have a small, and safe water feature, because the children want frogs in the garden. I'm also going to ask our parish council to enhance the park where we play, incorporating some of the children's ideas (they'd like piles of logs and BIG rocks to climb on).So, that's me started, I think.................sound good?? (oh and yes, some of them are already CRB checked, and the others are happy to be).

Edited by narnia

adding to Rufus' idea.............how far are you from a Sainsbury's store (or similar, I guess??) one local group took their children to the shop, each child had been given a purse, containing £4 (i'm not sure if the store provided this, or the setting), when they got to the shop, they were allowed to buy whatever they liked with the money, and were then able to scan the items and use the till themselves, paying for their goods, which they were then allowed to take home.most of them apparantly bought things you'd expect, such as sweets, biscuits, hairbands, comics, etc............but my friends child bough a whole rainbow trout, which he spent the whole day playing with! Sounds like a wonderful excursion?!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)