Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Skills Based Long Term Planning

Hi

Second post, I'm really getting into the swing of this!

Does anyone use a skills based long term plan?

I recently saw another school's planning and instead of a topic overview they have decided to list the skills that they are going to cover in every half term for all the 6 areas. So that in the first term they are going to cover one handed tools and painting. Regardless of the topic this will still be covered, one year the topic could be holidays, the next ourselves but withing this topic they will still cover the painting and one handed tools.

How do other people go about long term plans? At the moment I have continuous provision sheets and a topic overview which is very flexible. Am considering Skills based approach and would be interested to hear what you think?

Thanks in advance.

I'd really like to find out more about this skills based learning too if anyone would like to share their knowledge.

Thank you so much

Boogie :o

Thanks Sue R i have read this article before, it's interesting but not really what i was after, but thanks.

Thanks also Tinkerbell.

I dont' really need examples of a skills based long term plan because I have already seen another schools. i just wanted to know if anyone has worked like this because it seems like a really good idea to me - Long term planning that never has to change and will fit around any topic!

Perhaps the answer we have all been looking for.

Would love to know what others think :o

I suppose in a way we use a similar thing as we have said that the ELGs are our long term plan. Your method sounds more broken-down if you know what I mean in that you don't try to cover all of them all of the time (which we don't either actually, but the long term plan might seem to state we do). We are moving much more to child-initiated planning and away from topics decided upon by the staff, unless there seems to be no real focus of interest from the children. But whatever we cover we are always covering the ELGs at an age and stage appropriate level.

Each term the individual child has certain ELGs which become their individual medium term plan and the daily/weekly planning becomes our short term plan.

HTH. My head is not really in it at the moment.

hi Rufus

not really answering you question...but is it possible to share an example of the skills planning that you have already seen. Just to give myself and others an idea of what it may look like or contain....I know it is a bit cheeky but it might help to provide an example and then we all may have some opinion on whether we think it is a good idea or not. As you say it does seem like a good idea.

Cheers Ruth

Edited by rualprice

hi Rufus

not really answering you question...but is it possible to share an example of the skills planning that you have already seen. Just to give myself and others an idea of what it may look like or contain....I know it is a bit cheeky but it might help to provide an example and then we all may have some opinion on whether we think it is a good idea or not. As you say it does seem like a good idea.

Cheers Ruth

As promised, here we go! It's obviously rough and something that i knocked up in 20 mins so go easy on me, but this is something like what I have seen.

Obviously the order may change and each setting may want the focusses to be different. Anyway see what you guys think.

Creative_development_Long_Term_Planning.doc

Guest heleng

I like the idea of skill based planning as it means ELG's can be covered in whatever context is appropriate to the children at that time for example, if you are following the children's interests than this going obviously going to change from year to year and you can't say what you are going to be doing in advance (topic wise).

Can I just ask what you use to get your references i.e. CD1, 2, 3 etc.

I like the idea of skill based planning as it means ELG's can be covered in whatever context is appropriate to the children at that time for example, if you are following the children's interests than this going obviously going to change from year to year and you can't say what you are going to be doing in advance (topic wise).

Can I just ask what you use to get your references i.e. CD1, 2, 3 etc.

Those numbers relate to the stepping stones and early learning goals, so it owuld need changing in line with the development matters section of the EYFS, but the same thing could be done, just number them and off you go.

Thanks for sharing rufus, I think it is beginning to make sense :o But I will have to think and ponder for a while....its so interestinglooking at what everyone out there is doing such wonderful diversity xD

Thanks again

Ruth x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)