Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play Planning ...help!

Hi guys

havent posted for a while but am hoping you can give me some advice!

I am a teacher and (co ordinator) in a reception class in an independent school. The children have acess to a good sized garden. My problem is that I can't get my head round giving the children 50 per cent outdoor play when they are going off to various lessons throughout the day (french, music PE etc). I don't think we are able to offer the option of a free flow type situation as we are a little more formal than most reception classes. Any ideas gratefully received!!!!

Hi Mottie.

It seems to me that free flow would solve the problem for you if you could possibly find a way to work it out.

With free flow the children choose where they play and for some this might mean 99% outdoors....... I think trying to MAKE SURE the children have 50% outdoors isn't the way forward.

Obviously this is only my opinion..........

Our first OFSTED said we didn't use the outdoors properly.... we had a set time we could go out and then everyone had to go out!!

In truth free flow has been great and we have been doing it for about 6/7 years now!!

If outside is set up with thought it should be just an extension of your classroom.

The children lead where they want to be.

Don't think this was very helpful.

Sorry :o

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mottie.

It seems to me that free flow would solve the problem for you if you could possibly find a way to work it out.

With free flow the children choose where they play and for some this might mean 99% outdoors....... I think trying to MAKE SURE the children have 50% outdoors isn't the way forward.

Obviously this is only my opinion..........

Our first OFSTED said we didn't use the outdoors properly.... we had a set time we could go out and then everyone had to go out!!

In truth free flow has been great and we have been doing it for about 6/7 years now!!

If outside is set up with thought it should be just an extension of your classroom.

The children lead where they want to be.

Don't think this was very helpful.

Sorry :o

Hi all

Not used to doing this, so hope it works!!

I have found looking at the learning through landscapes website really useful, books by Helen Bilton and margery Ouvery are really good for providing ideas for how to ensure outdoor play is accessed to include provision and resources.

Good luck!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)