Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Registration

Hi there,

I'm new to the FSF and have already noticed that loads of people are doing self registration in the morning. I'd love to hear about how people actually organise this as it sounds like something I would be interested in implementing in my reception class. Thanks! :o

I'm in pre-school, but each child has a magnet with a picture which begins with the same letter sound as their first name. Their first and second names are printed alongside - so children begin to link pictures with letter sounds alongside recognition of their name. We have a magnetic easel with all the magnets on one side (one marked 'out' and one marked 'in'), and then as each child arrives they take their magnet from the 'out' side of the board and move it to the 'in' side!

Maz

My reception children use the interactive whiteboard to self register with whether they are having a packed lunch or a school dinner. I got the template off of sparklebox in smart noteboard format. It has different coloured balloons where you write the children's names. The balloons start off on the grass and the children move them to a cloud depending on what they are having for lunch.

Have a look on sparklebox. I don't know if they have any different formats now.

as most of ours are very young, we have a photograph of each child with their name underneath, this is laminated and has a strip of magnetic tape stuck to the back, and they stick it to the magnetic board when they arrive, and return them to a basket when they are going home. We can remove the photo as they get older and/or recognise their name

Our children learn to recognise their name printed on a laminated card in the corridor outside our room. When they come inside they stick their name card on a board (velcro) thus registering their presence. It's wonderful to see how quickly they actually learn to do this independently. :o

Our system is the same as dublinbay's. We thought hard about whether to include a photograph of the child but decided to give it a go without at first and it works very well. The children really enjoy showing their parents/carers how clever they are at finding their name cards and some of the older ones now know which name cards belong to their friends too.

Preschool - Weused a material board, names laminated with velcro on the back. The children soon learnt their names. At the top of the board were three clocks showing 11:45, 12:45 & 15:15, (going home times). The children would place under relevant time, no lunch, home after lunch or all day session. This helped to count how many for lunch (column 1+ column 2).

The different colour of the namecards indicated which key group the child was in too. xD

Funnily enough, once when I had an Ofsted Inspection, the Inspector watched the children put up their names (easily recognising them) then at feedback said we should have photo's next to the names to make it easier for the children :o

Peggy

post-3604-1218708425_thumb.jpg

Preschool - Weused a material board, names laminated with velcro on the back. The children soon learnt their names. At the top of the board were three clocks showing 11:45, 12:45 & 15:15, (going home times). The children would place under relevant time, no lunch, home after lunch or all day session. This helped to count how many for lunch (column 1+ column 2).

The different colour of the namecards indicated which key group the child was in too. xD

Funnily enough, once when I had an Ofsted Inspection, the Inspector watched the children put up their names (easily recognising them) then at feedback said we should have photo's next to the names to make it easier for the children :o

Peggy

:( You have to laugh sometimes at the nonsense, don't you Peggy.

Some past threads you may find of use too. :(

Self Registration Ideas?

Children Signing In

Self Registration

Self Registration

Hi - we have a large card board with three areas one has all laminated cards of childrens names (younger ones have a picture), children move their name to "todays children" sign. We also use this for our snack, bar - ie they move their name from "today's children" to under the snack sign when they want their snack. This really works very well.

Dot :o

In my reception class children come in and find their name (without photo) and velcro it onto a numberline with the number of children in the class on. We use it then to recognise numerals, count how many are here, how many are away etc. I use it for lining up etc as well, - if your name is on number 17 line up, if your name is on an even number (later in the year!) line up, if your name is on a number smaller than 10 line up etc. I find it a really good part of my maths teaching and the children recognise their name really well.

Hi, how we do it in nursery in our school is we have 39 children both am and pm. The children are divided into keyworkers greeen blue and yellow. Each child is given a keyworker then we have a laminated teddy with each childs name on , one side the teddys eyes are closed the other side the bears eyes are open. When the child comes into nursery the child looks for their coloured bear with their name on which is asleep, the child turns the teddy over with the bears eyes open so we know they are here. We then use the teddys again for snack by asking each child to take their teddy off the wall and place in a basket on the snack table when they have their snack. This helps us then by going to the teddys and seeing which child has not had snack. This also helps the children to recognise their name, parents help their child to find their name when they come in on a morning.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Christine 0258 x :o

Wow! What a lot of great ideas - thanks! The idea of using the interactive whiteboard is particularly appealing so I'm going to look into that further. Thanks to everyone who has posted here!

TickiTembo :o

Ofsted have also commented on the name with picture thing to us, again after watching the children recognise their names! The inspector also commented on the fact that we had a variety of different sized text on the self registration board, and asked were the names not too small. This was after some of the children had taken their names to her and shown her the letters and sounds in their names!

We use a picture of a bee with the children's name underneath and on the otherside they have a photograph with also their name underneath that. Velco squares are used to put them on the board for the children to find at the start of the session and they then place them on a tray for any pictures, painting etc.

Once we know the children recognise their name without the picture clue we just turn them around to their name.

Our pre-school logo is a bird and so we use this and put a photo of each child with their name underneath inside. The children then place their bird on our tree when they arrive. We find the children are very proud of their photo and name and get upset when we want to take their picture off. So for name recognition we have name cards that the children find themselves or in some cases with a little assistance at snack time and post into a covered shoe box. This also helps us at a quick glance see who hasn't had snack.

Wow! What a lot of great ideas - thanks! The idea of using the interactive whiteboard is particularly appealing so I'm going to look into that further. Thanks to everyone who has posted here!

TickiTembo xD

Just a little tip if you do use the sparklebox resources - when you've put in the children's names, right click and go to the locking options, choosing "allow move and rotate" or "allow move". This stops the frustration of children who haven't quite mastered the click and drag accidentally enlarging their icons and hiding all the others. It's also worth having some sort of turn taking set up when you first show the children, as I discovered to my cost on my taster session in my new class when about 6 children were gathered round the whiteboard all trying to click at once and getting nowhere fast! Lots of teaching points I hadn't planned for in one registration session :o .

Edited by Guest

We'll be starting self registration in September. I've been there since January but have now been given more control over the running of the setting so am re-introducing it. I will be using the children's names with a corresponding picture from their initial i.e. Karen = kangaroo. This will also be used on the front of their trays and their coat pegs for continuity. I will be using velcro on a material board.

Edited by KarenM

Within my reception class I use a picture of the child with the child's name underneath in grey writing (laminated) the children come in everyday and with their parent or myself or TA trace their name using drywipe pen and then velcro onto self reg board.

Once they are confident tracing they copy underneath and then when ready write 1st name independently -

then we add in thier surname. this way they are all writing thier name everyday!

H

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)