Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Under 2's And Eyfs

I have searched and searched and I can't see anywhere in the new statutory framework for the EYFS were it says that under 2's must be kept in groups of no more than :o 12. It definitely says it in the old standards but I cant find it in the new - am I missing it or has that criteria been removed or am I just going mad and it is glaringly obvious????!!!

Please Help..................

The only specific references I can find in the Statutory Framework for the under 2's provision seems to be in 'Suitable Premises, ...' p. 35 which refers to space requirement and that 'there should be a separate baby room...' and Appendix 2 which gives statutory adult to child ratios and qualification requirements. What does your registration certificate state?

Think I'll email OfSTED for a definitive answer. If its the case that under 2's dont have to be kept in groups of no more than 12 then I'll apply for a variation in registration to enable me to take more children!

I'll let you know the outcome!

Hello All here is the definitive answer from Mrs O

""The current National Standards sets a maximum of 12 under two years together in the additional criteria for caring for children under two years.

The EYFS does not make this distinction but does keep the requirement to have 3.5 sq metres per child and the guidance says they should have a separate room. EYFS relies on the space and separate room to set the numbers in these circumstances, the numbers of under twos would be dictated by the space available in the room.

To clarify, the EYFS does not specify or specifically restrict the number of children under the age of two years who can be cared for together in a setting. However, practitioners are required to meet the ratios and space requirements for any children cared for in this age group which are set out in the statutory framework .

Kind regards,

Children's Directorate Enquiries""

Hope this makes sense!!

It's something we have been coming up against quite a lot - the apparent disappearance of the importance of under-2 care! we have been shoe-horning policies into all sorts of places to give them homes, as we don't want to lose the significance of the extra requirements for these very youngest children.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)