Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Can Count Towards Your Foundation Degree?

Hello all.

Probably starting next September I will need to start the foundation degree to ensure that by 2015 there is someone with a degree working in afternoon nursery.

My question here is does anything, ANYTHING AT ALL count towards that degree?

If so, what?

I have my NNEB certificate (1982)

I have my City and Guild 7303 teaching and assessing adult and further education certificate.

I have 26 years worth of experiences in different settings, jobs, all to do with children and their care.

I have only read an overview re the course but I see no mention of any experiences counting towrds this goal.

I will be doing the long route..... part time, possibly one day a week dependant on where I do the degree......... IF I get accepted of course!

Can anyone offer any thoughts here?

I'd be grateful

Thanks!

when I signed up, all i needed was a level 3 qualification and two years experience of working in a setting.I have been told though, that some people haven't got any qualifications (no-one on my course is in this position though).I'm sure you'll get on the course, so good luck with it!

Hello

You have lot's of experience and you will be fine. I've just completed my first year and would say the more experience you have the better prepared you are as you will be able to pull on your knowledge. Go for it ................... we can all help you lots and you won'r regret it. I am actually missing mine lots at the mo and can't wait to go back.

:o (I was really shocked when I contacted my Uni recently about someone wanting to start - the entry criteria is relevant experience, working with children and a reference). I've got to say that is not fair on the student -the more experience you have of working working children, the theory and working towards qualifications. the better prepared you will be.

Good luck

Don't forget to check out the Open University too Scarlettangel. They have the same criteria and offer the FD on a part time basis. There are lots of us on here doing it this way and your choice between college and the OU will be a personal one, taking into account your preferered way of learning, funding and how quickly you want to do it.

Whatever you choose I wish you luck and the good people on this forum are always very supportive and helpful if you need it.

:o

Welcome to the forum Scarlettangel.

I fear that you will find that none of your quals will count towards your foundation degree in the sense I think you mean but it will certainly count towards your entry criteria as most colleges are asking for a Level 3 qualification as well as relevant experience. In this sense I think you will have no problem being accepted onto the course.

However, some colleges are seeing the amount of money which is available from the Government for this qualification and are dropping barriers such as these to enable them to fill classrooms as much as possible and therefore maximise income.

Personally I think this practise is wrong and not in the best interests of the student as I feel the experience and prior studies will be invaluable to a Foundation Degree Student and one without it is going to find what is already a very challenging qualification so much harder and in some cases will lead to non completion. This could be very damaging to someones confidence and ultimately their career in early years.

The Open University is the only FE establishment which has always prided itself on not asking for prior qualifications as entry criteria for its courses.

Unfortunately local colleges approach to this changes in direct proportion to the amount of funding available!!

There was an article in one of the nursery magazines in the last month about the very subject of bums on seats. I have to agree. They are more interested in filling the course up but loads drop out. Experience seems to count for nothing but CWDC are piloting new routes from Sept 08. Might be worth looking into it. You will get on the course easily and hopefully pass it no bother with 26 years experience. To me its just a pity that piece of paper means more.

Have a look at the FD in Management of a Childcare Provision; this is done all on line via Liverpool Hope Uni, I cannot recommend this FD enough, its interesting, informative, thought provoking, and very relevant to the job; the tutors and other students are all very supportive. My NVQ4 counted towards the 1st term (if I remember correctly). I graduated in July (what a brilliant day) and start the BA (Hons) in Nursery Management in September.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Have a look at the FD in Management of a Childcare Provision; this is done all on line via Liverpool Hope Uni

This sounds really a really good option.

Be aware, however, that if your intention is EYPS that not all Foundation Degrees are accepted as entry criteria for the long pathway. The FD should be based around the early years and it would be worth while checking with one of the EYPS providers in your area whether this qualification will allow you access to the EYPS pathway before you actually enrol on it.

Although its a "management qualification" it does cover some aspects of early years; it would need to really as that is what we're all about! Good luck!

Hi

Anglia Ruskin University do the FD in Early Years Childcare and Education. This is all completed online. I'm half way through the second year and we get excellent support from peers and tutors.

I do not think your previous qualification will count towards any part of the FD but get in touch with the uni to ask.

However, some colleges are seeing the amount of money which is available from the Government for this qualification and are dropping barriers such as these to enable them to fill classrooms as much as possible and therefore maximise income.

Personally I think this practise is wrong and not in the best interests of the student as I feel the experience and prior studies will be invaluable to a Foundation Degree Student and one without it is going to find what is already a very challenging qualification so much harder and in some cases will lead to non completion. This could be very damaging to someones confidence and ultimately their career in early years.

The Open University is the only FE establishment which has always prided itself on not asking for prior qualifications as entry criteria for its courses.

Unfortunately local colleges approach to this changes in direct proportion to the amount of funding available!!

Wise words there!

This has always been my argument with the offering of NVQ as a 'college taught', 'bums on seats' type of course, which it quite obviously wasn't designed to be!!

I would endorse the Open University as a way of controlling your study to suit yourself, whilst still acquiring a good qualification at the end. Whatever you decide, good luck!!

Sue

I have just graduated from Liverpool Hope University with an Fd A in Management of Early Years Provision I am now starting on the 'top up' to BA(HONS) in Early Years Management. I have an NNEB, CPQS A1/A2 assessor award.Many of my colleagues had NNEB or Level 3 with relevent experience; I can really recommend this degree it is so relevent to our job role, it is by distance learning online, you attend college once or twice a year you work in groups online and also submit individual assignments. the support and encouragement from your virtual 'class' is very motivating as is the ongoing support from the tutors I have been a manager of my own nursery for 16 years and this has been the most valuable personal/professional development I have ever undertaken. Your class or groups are also people working in the same field as you are so you have lots in common professionally; I am not the type of person who can motivate themself individually ( therefore not too sure about OU)but the group work helped keep me going.I may even do EYP after the degree who knows......although after 30 years in childcare I will have to retake my GCSE maths!!!

I started a degree at Anglia Ruskin University, I got one year APL, so started in the second year. I had ADCE and Certificate in Education (post compulsory), both achieved in 2000/2001. I think that there is a shelf life for past qualifications going towards APL (5 yrs), Although mine were a bit older than 5 yrs, I think they took my years of experience into account as well. So it's always worth asking about APL (accredited prior learning).

Unfortunately I dropped out, cancer scare and closing my preschool. xD The university were very supportive though.

he only thing I would say about going in on the second year is that I found it quite difficult to 'gel' with the 'researchers' (as the students were called), also found the totally online method of study quite difficult too.

Good luck, which ever route you take, and as others have said, plenty of fellow soon to be and 'graduates' here on the forum to support you. :o

Peggy

Perhaps its something to do with the grade you achieved, Sue!

Maz

I fear not!!

It's just that ANY GCE pass was considered equivalent of C or above at CSE (as it was then)

PS, your avatar bears a striking resemblance to me most of the time!! - Just ask my Manager

Which is why I'm never rude about her or the nursery (as if!!) :o

Perhaps that's why my two deputies never post on here even though they've been members since last October! xD

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)