Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fsp Scores Into P Levels Or Nc Levels

Have just received an e-mail from my Head asking me if I can transfer my raw scores for tracking (scores from the profile) into P levels or NC levels so they can be used to set up a tracker for Year 1.

I'm sure there has been some discussion about it not being relevant to use FSP scores in this way as it is an entirely different curriculum. I've looked through the posts for this week, but can't find it now. Somebody mentioned it being in the EYFS - and I did think I'd highlighted it previously so that I would have the 'quote' ready when needed.

Am feeling overwhelmed at the moment with paperwork from last year and this ... on top of having workmen in!!!

Can anybody point me in the right direction and save me wasting any more time searching PLEASE!!!!

Harricroft.

PS - if EYFS is a different curriculum shouldn't the Y1 tracker start at wt Level 1, and be assessed in February (or whenever whole school trackers are done) when children can be moved to L1 etc??

P Scales and Early Learning Goals

* During the first 2 terms of Y1 as children are making the transition from the Foundation stage into Key Stage 1, teachers' assessments should be based on the NC levels for those children who are achieving at appropriate levels and on the ELGs for those achieving below NC level 1.

* From the 3rd term of Y1 teachers' assessments should continue to be based on NC levels for those children who are achieving at appropriate levels, and they should be based on the QCA P scales for children achieving below level 1 who are likely to have SEN.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/secondary...ales/what/eyfs/

P scales and EYFS

The P scales have not been designed for use in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).

The P Scales and the early learning goals have been written for different purposes and have been constructed in different ways.

* The early learning goals specify expectations for children’s progression by the end of the Foundation Stage, while the P Scales were written for use with children of National Curriculum age who are working towards level 1 or who are working within levels 1 or 2 of the National Curriculum for extended periods of time. They were written primarily for supporting target setting in the context of the National Curriculum.

* The early learning goals themselves (and consequently items 4–8 in any scale) are not necessarily hierarchical and do not necessarily reflect progression.

For these reasons P scales should not be used in the Early Years Foundation Stage.

Where did you get the first bit from Marion- about P scales and Early Learning goals. That is just what I want to show to my head and Year 1 teacher. Thanks. xx

I would take your new EYFSP handbook, go to page 5, underline the following and stick it on your heads desk.

" EYFSP profile scale points and cumulative scale point scores are statutory assessments that exist in their own right. They are not equivalent to any national curriculum levels or sub levels and no such comparison should be made."

You can't get more unequivocal that that methinks.

Equally in all offical guidance for P levels (and our SEN team have just reiterated this in my LA) they are not to be used for children in FS and they do not describe attainment in EYFSP terms.

Cx

PS what on earth are they doing emailing you in the middle of the holidays anyway!!!

Edited by catma

So, as I am about to move into year 1 when should I be asked to level children at NC levels and how easy is it to do that?

Hi Susan - this is what I would say, and I'm saying it without any other pressures coming to bear like Heads without a clue etc it's a bit of a rant and it's not aimed at you!!

levelling is a summative activity that is based on reviewing a wide range of work over a period of time so with children who have arrived in yr1 with the 78+ scores etc etc I would be doing some gap analysis of their scale points to indicate any glaring areas that would slow progress, and then would be planning the normal range of Yr1 activities around that.

Then after a suitable period of time - say half a term which is pretty standard, assessment of progress based on the work done in Yr1, using NC criteria would give you the first point on the tracker of choice. For the children who are significantly below the ELGs on arrival then I might have to be using the FSP as targets for a wee while longer as they get a more secure basis to work on, this could be due to age/maturity etc so they might need a term to get there but I wouldn't be using P levels yet and if they are level W at first than that's what they are. (It is after all a NC level) For them and the in betweenies I would be using gap analysis to accelerate as much as possible maybe through wave 2 interventions but again using the NC levels for the next summative point.

After that I would be looking at children NOT making progress and reasons why. This may indicate a need for P levels but our LA guidance is that they should really only be considered at the end of Yr 1 after some good QFT, and allowing for younger children to develop.

To immediately "assess" on entry to Yr 1 just ignores the value of the FSP and the quality of work that goes into making the judgements, and NAA is very clear that it is the professional responsibility of the Yr1 teacher to understand how to use the FSP outcomes to develop starting points within the next phase of learning.

No doubt someone will be along soon to shoot me down but that's my opinion!

Cx

well, there's continuing the learning journey although that is really an INSET package and if you don't have the file in school you can download the text but the dvd is really the best bit - not sure if they've put the clips on the EYFS disc, look under wider community bit. There's also "smooth transitions" which I think is Featherstone and there's also a pack that PNS produced about a year or 2 ago

here

Others will probably have favourites too!

Cx

Making It Work in Year 1: To Help Year 1 Teachers Support Continuity and Progression from the Foundation Stage by Sally Featherstone

Meeting the Challenge: A Practical Approach to Transition from Reception to Year 1 by Clare Shaw

are useful too

All good stuff and I agree totally Catma but heads are pressured into tracking and showing progression from entry and proving it. If the same unequivical message came from Ofsted, National curriculum and Q.C.A then heads might just get it. Meanwhile there is mounting pressure on year one teachers to try to begin more as in F.S and some find this daunting as the play based curriculum is labour intensive and many do not have any T.A support.It must feel like being a squashed sandwich!The environment and good quality provision of activities are key and if teaching staff are too busy with too much paperwork what is the use of n number of observations and planning papers when there is no time to follow it through! There is no way that we will be inundated with more help in schools to set up and provide this rich environment so we need to seriously slash paperwork to the minimum amount to work effectively. Meanwhile my Year 1 colleague says where has the reception year gone or has it just moved to year 1!

Thanks for all the advice and links - this is just what I thought, but you do need the 'official links' to justify what you're trying to say.

Harricroft xxx

Meanwhile my Year 1 colleague says where has the reception year gone or has it just moved to year 1!

Firmly into the EYFS!!

I say this on transition trainings: the FS2 practitioner has for years been forced to stand up and be counted about what is effective practice for EYs children and have had a hard time along the way. Now the baton has moved into Yr1 and KS1 and it is the responsibility of those professionals to fight the good fight!!

Rather tongue in cheek but if everyone rolls over and gives up then we don't get anywhere in the long run! SIPs are having training from PNS/Ofsted and within LAs, (I've just done some for our SIPs for example on using FSP data) and the climate and focus for looking at what is efective Yr1 working is there - look at the children's plan for starters. Yes, it's difficult but pioneers of pedagogy have always been out on a limb! What the EYs RAs want is to see where effective and innovative practice is working for children, building on what they already can do in ways that develop them appropriately and then it gets shared, and then more people have strings to their bows when they go argue with HTs etc!

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)