Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading In Foundation Stage

Anybody and suggestions for reading schemes with lots of books without text. Just taken over as Head and shocked by how quickly and innapropriately these children have been moved onto books with words!

Guest Wolfie

Hi dangermouse..nothing to suggest I'm afraid but didn't want your first post to go un-noticed! Welcome to the forum! What have you just taken over as Head of?

I no longer give reading books to children who can't read (including books without words) I use books without words for children who need to develop their spoken language skills instead and use what Sue Palmer calls RA RA RA books. Read Aloud Read Along Read Alone for children until they are ready for a reading scheme book.

Jolly Phonics have a good selection of reading books without words which I use. Also have a

'teachers notes' book which is very handy, and children's take home cards for parents.

They introduce the characters and obviously the idea is to encourage the children to tell the story talk about it, what could/will/did happen, lots of language etc.

Although some of my parents cannot see the point of them. It is one of the things I explain to them at a meeting I have at the beginning of term.

Jackie.

hey we use oxford reading tree (Good old Biff and Kipper) in nursery for children in their last term who are going up to Reception only thing is i can remmeber having the exact same books twenty years ago when i was 3!

Thanks for the welcome. :o

I have taken over as Head of Pre-Prep (which has a FS Unit) in a Private school where parent expectations are high and certain teachers seem to have gone along with this to make things easy, unfortunately for themselves and NOT the children! Children being pushed on far too quickly.

Anyway thanks for the help I will continue my search and will most certainly be introducing real books.

I too have some oxford reading tree books with no words. I also use a photocopy masters book which has sets of pictures from the stories that children can talk through with an adult and then sequence. It's really good for developing their language. Some of them have simple sentences to match to the pictures too but I don't often use them.

I would also recommend the Songbirds phonics books. I know that is not what you asked about, but they are really good and link in with the letters and sounds phonics (if you are following that).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)