Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Help

I AM REALLY CONCERNED THAT I HAVE NOT GOT MY HEAD AROUND THIS NEW EYFS. IT IS TIMES LIKE THIS WHEN I DO NOT LIKE WORKING IN A ONE FORM ENTRY PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH NO NURSERY. IT IS VERY HARD AS YOU HAVE NO ONE ELSE TO BOUNCE IDEAS ADN QUESTIONS OFF. HERE ARE SOME OF MY WORRIES HOPE SOMEONE WILL E ABLE TO CALM ME DOWN.

WHAT WILL OFSTED BE LOOKING FOR?

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SHOW YOUR PLANNING (MY BIGGEST ISSUE)

I JUST FEEL AS IF I DO NOT KNOW WHERE I AM. HAS THERE BEEN ANY TRAINING FOR THIS?

OH GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE WE GO BACK IN 3 WEEKS I AM NO WHERE NEAR READY.

PS IF IT'S NOT CLEAR I AM IN RECEPTION.

IF ANYONE ELSE IS IN THE SAME BOAT I.E ON THEIR OWN, THEN WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU ALSO.

WAITING IN ANTICIPATION

Hi teacherinpink, there have been and are loads of discussions on this in the EYFS forum and someone posted a link to what Ofsted wil be looking for but I'm afraid I cant remember where that is.

Training has been varied around the country and in content but I dont think you'll need much. The EYFS is about allowing children to play, observing their interests and planning for it. Obviously in a school you'll have other issues but I dont think you need worry.

Try to enjoy some of your holidays :oxD

Hi teacherinpink, like you i can't believe we only have 3 weeks left.

I went on a planning/observation course just before we finished for the summer hols, and what they told us was, our long term plans should be made up from continuous provisions and topics that we would all probably do in some way, ie about me/we are special, Christmas, Easter, Spring/growing, etc. For weekly planning it was suggested to focus on one area of learning a week, just have a couple of ideas written down for Monday morning and then after discussion with the children, maybe make a spider chart with things they are interested, ie did you go on holiday (could lead onto transport, other countries) or favourite toys, it's really something they show an interest in. A while ago we ended up doing Lazy Town, in a fashion! Medium term planning can be done at the start of the term, but mostly filling it in as the term goes along.

They suggested a planned activity each day (this will be on the area I am going to observe that week)

Saying that, I also plan literacy and mathematics each day, each session lasting about 15/20 minutes.

As Rea said there are lots of ideas here, I've found loads!

I also work with foundation children and hope this has been of some help.

Enjoy the rest of the holidays, and don't panic, once the term starts it'll all fall into place, I hope!!

Jackie

Sorry you are having a panic.... as I am sure many people are. You are in the right place for advice and if you do some searches you will come across lots of help. To me the main things you need to think about are 'Child Initiated Learning' and how you will ensure that happens and 'Observation'

This is the best article I have read explaining EYFS planning. It was written April 31 by Nursery World.

I really don't think there is a right or wrong way to plan. Its especially difficult in schools because they always have their own top driven expectations of what they want to see in planning so I think i is a case of being brave and explaining with conviction of why you are planning the way you are just as you would to ofsted.

If its any consolation I have been on EYFS training but I didn't come away from it with anything new, it just confirmed my own views on how children should learn. Fortunately I dragged my head along too so that she also knew exactly what was required. They didn't give any suggestions for planning as this is going to be individual to every setting. I think the big thing for reception classes is giving children time to play and for it to be purely child initiated.

This article helped me to see that I don't need lots of paperwork and plans showing adult directed activities!!!

EYFS_Best_Practice.doc

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND :o I AM PLEASED ABOUT THE PLANNING THING AS THERE WERE TIMES I WAS HANDING IN PLANNING FOR THE SAKE OF IT BUT NEVER ACTUALLY DOING IT! I HOPE THAT IS THE END OF AN ERA.

ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR HOLIDAY

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)