Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Person

I love the idea of a 'key person' that has now been introduced into the EYFS and having visited a number of pre-school settings to visit my new 'brood' for September, it seems to work well. However I would be interested to know what people's thoughts for how this works in schools. I have a class of approx. 27 4 year olds in my class in September and as my Head has discovered that the ratio is 1:30 she hasn't worked out TA support for me yet!! My current TA works 4 days a week, although hasn't been with me totally for those 4 days last year and I get the feeling she will be used more around the school next year. I also have a level 2 student for 3 mornings a week and a level 1 student 2 days a week. I may or may not get other TA support from any TA available in school (no early years training), so how do I do this key person thing or is it me who is key person to everyone with the support of observations etc from students, TAs as and when I plan it for them!

I would love to see the ratio 1:8 for this age group, with proper training and committment from TAs who are willing to take on a bit of respnsibility for what they do rather than just doing what they enjoy or what they can manage (older TA struggling).

Any thoughts would be helpful.

:o

Hi, thats what i thought, as i work in a school nursery and the ratio is 1:13 for 3-4 year olds. i have worked in reception class as a nursery nurse supporting the teacher but have also been left in charge with no support in reception class. Hope this helps Christine 0258 x :o

I am the key worker for all my 21 reception as of september. I do have a TA with me 4 days a week and hope to as the year goes on, pass over some of the children over to her. At the moment it is not appropriate for various reasons but it's something to work on. She will however support me in collect evidence and carrying out observations.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)