Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Strange Compliment-should I Divorce?

Today is my 20th wedding aniversary (gulp) Don't know how or when that happened :( . We don't usually bother, nor with presents or cards for birthdays and Christmas either.We usually get some thing we need xD Today seemed a bit different and that its really something we should be proud off.On Monday the engineer was servicing the boiler so I got down our wedding photo that has not been displayed for many a year-eldests reaction "God mum your so thin...Dad needs to cut his nails"

This morning I got a card first thing and then a bunch of flowers and a cup of coffee in bed.I decided to get up and see my husband off to work and threw on a pair of blue pants and a red vest top.His parting words were

"You look lovely... just like a Russian shot putter"

It was not a joke

He really did not realise what he'd said

Should I be upset? offended? laugh?

After 20 years has he reveal a dark feish for Russian body builders?

Should I becareful what he watches of the olympics (he's already checked out the times of the beach volleyball :o )

Do I speak to him when he gets home or put him on the naughty step to think about whats he's said?

Is this indeed grounds for divorce?

Anyone else had a strange compliment from their other half?

Biccy I think you should laugh for a long, long time and then plan your revenge! Perhaps you could organise a strip-o-gram to celebrate - I'm sure the agency could provide a Russian shot putter looky-likey!

Congratulations on your 20th anniversary - you're right: it is something to be proud of.

Maz

Guest Wolfie

That's really made me smile biccy and I can really relate to it....

A few weeks/months back, we happened to end up watching that Trinny and Susannah thing trying to make people comfortable with their bodies, when they all ran about naked on a hill ( :oxD )! The bit where you had to rate your own body out of 10 and then hear what other people rated it as had just been on.......without thinking, I turned to my other half and idly asked what he'd give my body, NEVER doubting that he'd say 10....

6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it!!!!

To put this in context, we've been extremely happily married for 23 years, accept each other for what we are(most of the time anyway) and I have no hidden insecurities about my body (well hardly any)!

However, my jaw hit the floor - and so did those of our two teenagers who unfortunately for him were witness to the conversation. 6 out of 10! And he didn't even think that I'd mind!!

So I am now the 6/10 woman in this house. I have to say that he has come out of the whole thing much worse- he is held to ransom by his comment on almost a daily basis, not just by me but by the kids as well, and knows that it is likely to be brought up for years to come, as needed, as evidence of his insensitivity and ignorance of basic human emotions and feelings.

Oh, and yes, revenge is on my agenda as well!! :(

Edited by Wolfie

Oh Biccy that is sooooo funny!!! You should definitely laugh about this not get offended, perhaps you ought to plan a special night in together and get together a really authentic shot putters outfit with champagne and candle light.

That is the sort of compliment I get from my husband and children but they do mean it in a backhanded complimentary sort of way I think! The latest thing my son has said to me is that some people look really ugly without their glasses on and apparently I am one of them! Apparently I look OK with them on!!!

Congratulations too on reaching your 20th. We've almost reached 9 years and are like an old pair of slippers, nice and comfy.

The girls seem to think I'm being taken out and should dress up for his arrival home.....I've printed off the Russian flag and the number 20 to pin on.

I did a google and found this

oh dear!!!

Happy 20th Anniversary . Girls are right., dress up and go out for a meal. Later this month we will be celebrating our 30th!! The kids have booked us a long weekend away - havent a clue where? It is a long time since we have been away on our own and Im wondering should I take my laptop? I have been asking my husband since our 25th wedding anniversary to renew our wedding vows and he has flaty refused until recently when he was away he suddenly changed has had a cahnge of heart? Suspicious or what? Now Im not so sure?

Have a lovely evening Biccy

smiles

Guest MaryEMac

Congratulations on reaching 20 years Biccy.

I think that his punishment should be to take you for an expensive meal. That should make him think before he gives you a back-handed compliment. :o . Have a lovely evening.

Mary

Happy Anniversary Biccy, congratulations on 20 yrs. :(

Nearly speechless (through laughter and incredulity at hubby's comment :( ) All I can say is that the lady in the picture looks very happy :oxD

I'd definately 'putt' hubby in his place and expect a meal large enough (and with ALL the trimmings) for a shot putter :(

Peggy

p.s. If I was you I'd also donate the 'blue pants and red vest top' to the local charity clothes shop. :wacko: xD

p.s. If I was you I'd also donate the 'blue pants and red vest top' to the local charity clothes shop. xD:(

I disagree Peggy: clearly biccy's husband likes that particular look! :o

I disagree Peggy: clearly biccy's husband likes that particular look! xD

hmm yes, point taken he did say she looks lovely... :o (which I'm sure she does whatever she wears)

Peggy

Congratulations to you both.....

I have to say You should take it as a compliment as he said you looked lovely Plus he obviously appreciates you being just YOU! After all that why he married you no matter what you look! My hubby wouldn't even notice as he nevers makes any comment on what I wear, when I have my hair done or even when I buy something new. But I know if it didn't look right he would soon tell me!! well at least I hope he would! WE've been together for 18 years, married 16 years in august! Plus we got marreid young!! so we are still young at heart!

x :o x

many thanks for your heart warming replies :( It's nice to know there are some many people with long standing relationships out there.

We've had a lovely evening dinning without children at a renowned Indian in Cleckheaton.We pushed the boat out and had 2 drinks orders :oxD .I kept doing over head arm swings and making him duck :( he's seen the error of his ways but he won't be allowed to forget it!! The kids have been using 'Da' and 'net' when talking to him-sometime family life just tickles your funny bone

Glad you had a lovely time biccy. Your hubbys comment is the kind of thing my other half would say, and then look incredulous that he'd said something wrong. Congratulations on your 20 years.

Wolfie.....I have no words :o