Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Npqicl

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

Has anyone done..or is anyone in the middle of doing...this qualification? I know that it's going to be next on my "to do" list and wondered if anyone has any experience of what it's like?

Has anyone done..or is anyone in the middle of doing...this qualification? I know that it's going to be next on my "to do" list and wondered if anyone has any experience of what it's like?

The only thing I know about it is that they offer it at Pen Green!

What do you hope to get out of doing it, Wolfie - where will it take your career?

Maz

I went on the info day for this cohort. It's on my "to do" list too. I didn't feel the time was right for me yet though. Still got to get to grips with my CCteacher post!

I am doing a 7 day leadership and management course which has elements of the NPQICL at St Thoma's Centre in Birmingham starting in September.

Just sent off my EYPS application at last!

It really depends where you see yourself in the future - if leadership of acentre is what you eventually want then go for it. I know that it is quite a workload and know someone who is doing it now. If you want to talk to her just PM me.

Guest Wolfie

I'm not sure yet!

The qualification is on offer with my new job, the Centre Manager would like all of her team to study for it. Multi-agency working and integrated services are going to be a huge part of my job and I do feel that some kind of related study will help me focus on the really important concepts and issues.

In the Midlands, it looks as though CREC (Centre for Research in Ealrly Childhood), headed by Pascal and Bertam, have landed the contract for delivering it - that's a huge pull for me, I've been hugely impressed by what I know and have seen of them so far. I just know very little about what's actually involved, their webiste doesn't go into a lot of detail.

Surfer, you and I have posted at the same time! I'll be very interested to hear what you think of the course in September - that's the CREC lot isn't it?

Edited by Wolfie

In the Midlands, it looks as though CREC (Centre for Research in Ealrly Childhood), headed by Pascal and Bertam, have landed the contract for delivering it - that's a huge pull for me, I've been hugely impressed by what I know and have seen of them so far.

Would be a big selling point for me too, Wolfie! Wonder if anyone here has done it? Have you looked on the Pen Green website?

Maz

Hi Wolfie - yes it is the CREC team doing the 7 days. I went to their open session and was very inspired but i am just not ready yet. I think you are further down the line than me and if your centre manager is keen for you to do it that means you will be supported - eg time off etc. I feel like you that I want more in depth knowledge about integrated working so it will remain on my to do list for a litle while longer.

You would need to check their closing date though as I know it wasn't all that far away when i went on the visit.

Guest Wolfie

I think I'll be looking at September 09 for a start date - need to get to grips with the job first I think!

Hi

I completed the NPQICL and loved every minute of it. I think were you do it and who tutors the course has a big impact on what you can get from it, i found it to be very emotional and challenging as you really have to look at yourself and what your response and actions can mean in a leadership role. Where are you from ? and where nearby is doing the course, you may end up as one of my mentees as i am mentoring the new programme for 2008. Good Luck

In Wigan we have recommended all our Childrens Centre Managers to do the NPQICL and most have now done so or are in the process of doing so this year.

So far I have heard nothing but good things about it and the impact on the Centres led by an NPQICL qualified leader seems very positive

Guest Wolfie

I'm in Staffordshire and am assuming that I would be doing it with CREC in Birmingham? They seem to have landed the contract for the West Midlands. It's great to hear positive vibes about the qualfication. :o

• 2 months later...

I have just started this and so far it has been brilliant - I am in the London cohort and have just had two days away at a residential - as Beaconhill said it is emotional - it makes you really look at your practice and you can do this in a safe environment. It has certainly challenged me and my perceptions - haven't started yet on my written assignments - but it has given me the opportunity of learning from others as we have to visit other centres as part of a Leadership Learning Group. It is very different from other learning and courses I have done - its not so much about being taught anything - it is all self directed with lots and lots of reflection and personal journalling throughout each session. In an ideal world I would have probably started this next year as my centre has only just opened and it does require a lot of time off site. But I would recommend it.

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)