Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Compulsory Purchase Order On Our Hall.

Not had a good nights sleep as I'm worried and not sure what to do? The playgroup has hired the church hall for 40years and this week it hit the local press that it has been ear marked along with loads of other shops to be pulled down to give Stowmarket a face lift.

We are a very busy charity group with a waiting list and things have been going very well for the setting.

I was informed that it was a possibility that this would happen, now it has been in the papers and the phone calls have been coming in to me I'm now worried about it.

The church have told me that IF it happens & they have to relocate then we will be considered in their plans. This could mean a new hall & many positives could come from this for the playgroup. We are currently in the middle of our high street in a prime location relocation may be to to town outskirts.

I am upset as this church has been part of my life since Sunday school, Girls Brigade, play group for my son & then me being the play-leader. Something keeps me connected to this building. The building is a modern red bricked building as the original flint beautiful 3 arched doorway building was destroyed in the war by a bomb. Should the church still be this amazing building no one would even consider to pull it down and would be very careful as to what is built next to it.

I am kept up to date with information from the church wardens. I feel like I'm taking on giants!!! but totally at the mercy of others, when i consider the hard work, kindness, the support given, the families that use us and all that goes on I honestly say that I feel deflated by this news.

Your bound to be affected by the news, it seems that the church has been and is still a very big part of your life. As a thriving playgroup in the community I hope that if the development does go ahead that the church not only consider you in their plans but make you a big part of this.

I hope everything works out well for you, the children and families who attend whichever way things go.

Best wishes

Paula

Oh dear Leslie, You must feel very much in limbo at the moment. I can sense a hint of positive thoughts though, hopefully if a move occurs it won't be too fay from your current position and that the church involve you in future plans of how best to accomodate your preschool in any new building.

Are you able to get any information from your local council planning department, they may be able to give you an idea of time scales expected or even if the compulsory purchasing is a reality or a rumour. I'd also see if you can get advice about how this change will affect business and any compensation / grants will be available for any future moves, even though youare a charity, look at this as a business cost of which you may be entitled to compensation. Try your local small business advice agency.

This has happened to a friend of mine, the church she is based in has been bought by private developers and the land is going to be used for flats, also a prime high street site. :o She has owned the preschool for 40 yrs and really should be thinking of retiring (she's in her 70's) but wants to carry on with her daughter who is the supervisor. She is really finding it hard to 'let go'.

Let us know how things progress and best wishes for a not too difficult future for you all.

Peggy

Oh Lesley what a difficult time for you all.

It does sound very likely that this is going to happen, and Peggy has given some great advice about practical measures you can take to try and overcome some of the likely adverse effects on your pre-school business.

The emotional effects are more difficult to overcome, especially as you say that your life has been intertwined with that of the building for so long. You will probably have quite a while to come to terms with this before you have to say goodbye - these things don't usually happen overnight - so hopefully you can prepare the children for this next phase in their lives as well as getting used to the idea yourself.

I sense that you can see some positives attached to this potential move and I'm guessing that once you know for sure your group will need to relocate, it will be focusing on these positives that will get you through. That, and remembering that the building itself is only part of the story: a lot of your lovely memories will be bound up in the people and organisations you were connected with. That warmth and commitment and love can follow you into the new building and form the basis of the next part of your group's history - but your team will need to make a conscious effort to make it happen.

Its a bit like a bereavement really isn't it? You need to go through the stages of coming to terms with what is such a big change before you can move on.

Let us know how things go: its good to get things off your chest!

Maz

thank you HappyMaz you have summed me up well that is just how i feel :o . I will be seeking advice and doing as Peggy as said. I have a PLA office near by i might see what they can offer as well.

Thank you all,

Yes I DO understand your feelings Lesley. I was thrown out of my former condemned

church hall 5 years ago, after 25 years.The building was slowly deteriorating and repeatedly vandalised.

At the time I was very busy first finding new premises and then moving all the equipment.After the move it felt very strange. Children and staff were fine though. I still have the key to the building because I was allowed to leave some equipment there in case i might need it. I used to go in and check the building for a while, how sad is that.

Then new memories are made. During the first year in new building we used to talk about the last year, nativities, open days etc. Now I rarely think or talk about them because we have many happy memories in new hall. Good luck in finding new premises.

Oh Lesley I do feel for you as we have been through a similar experience. I have been 10 years with my group and the church decided to terminate our lease so after exhausting all ideas we decided to shut. Then out of the blue a nearby business our local Stadium had a building that they were renovating and asked us if we wanted to use it.

We are now looking forward to the next 10 years in a new and better building, but I still drive past the old place and it feels so weird to think after 10 yrs that I won't be going back there.

Still all things are done for a reason and this move hopefully will be for the better.

Good luck I hope things turn out well for you and your group.

I am going to a public meeting tomorrow about the whole thing as about ten other retail units are involved in this project. Weird as it is but the meeting is being held in our hall!!!! i think my emotions will get the better of me tomorrow being in our hall as well. I've tried to contact our P L A head office which in the same town & our E Y support team but both have a answer phone saying to call back in September AHHHHHH......

I have prepared a press statement as the local papers have been phoning me for comments & I thought that rather than me getting all upset & saying something out of turn that I would write it all down instead of balling at people!

I am also getting a list together of what it may cost us to relocate e.g. transport of equipment, storage of equipment, re advertisement, loss of clients etc what else can anyone suggest?

As for the PLA Lesley - ring London Head Office: clearly you need some emergency support and this won't wait until September. Do they give you remission from membership fees in August? How inconvenient.

Can you invite some parents along for moral support - then you won't feel so alone.

Other expenses that come to mind: re-registering with Ofsted, extra costs for staff in terms of travelling, reprinting costs (prospectuses etc)? I'm sure there's a long list - but I'm pretty brain dead at the moment.

Good luck for tomorrow night - don't be afraid to show your emotions (although you'll need to be able to speak clearly though!). Let us know how things go won't you?

Well done Lesley on getting yourself 'prepared' for the meeting, wise decision. :o

Maybe you could also get together some figures that back up the need for your services, ie: X number of children without a preschool place, local area figures showing need (get from your LEA research dept), add a bit about government 10 year strategy to provide childcare so the loss is not just yours, your staff, the children and parent (current) but also affects government strategy. Well something along those lines might help show your not just a centre 'for play'.

Also if the church people are there see if you can get a 'public' promise that you will be included in their future plans. xD

and maybe ask if they already have any 'proposed sites' as this info would help with your planning, also of course time scales etc.

Hopefully fingers crossed either this meeting halts the whole project or if it does go ahead it provides a 'new beginning' that you can work, live with and prosper in.

Peggy

I went to the public meeting last night regarding the church & the redevelopment plans. I was surprised at the amount of people whom attended, the hall was full. The council sat at the front & after a long presentation rolled on to a question & answers session. My sister came to support me as I was on my own :o . I put my feelings across to the whole room & begged the councilors to consider our playgroup in their plans for the church. I invited them all to come & have a morning with us just so they could see what we get up to! I hope that I struck a cord with the councillors and at least they know now who I am, what I think and that I'm not scared to speak out on behalf of our setting. It is now a matter of watch this space!

Thank you for all of your support as this has came at the time of year when no one else is around to support me! For the first time for two weeks I've manged to have a full nights sleep, I might even tackle some paper work today now that I've got it all off of my chest!

Well done you! It sounds to me as if you did really well: professional, but passionate about your group.

Perhaps you could follow the meeting up with a personal invitation to come and see your group to every council member who attended - plus everyone else (including your MP) who might have even the vaguest interest in children/education and get them onside!

I'm glad you have managed some sleep: things always look better when you're feeling a little less fraught and tired!

Maz

Well done Lesley, don't forget to try and have some 'chill out' time as well, a relax in the sun, the paerwork can wait just one more day can't it? :o

Good idea from happymaz, keep the issues you are concerned with at the front of the MP.s minds. xD

Peggy