Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Displays For Classroom

Hi,

I am just trying to get a few ideas together for displays for my classroom at the beginning of term. I am an NQT who will be teaching a Reception class and want to ensure the classroom is vibrant, welcoming and engaging when the children arrive.

As yet I do not know much about the children as due to trainging sown south and relocating for work I was unable to be truly involved in the induction process and the school does not do home visits.

I was thinking of having a birthday display on one board, with each chid's birthday, a welcome display for which in the first few days I would like the children to draw a picture of themselves, maybe doing their favourite activity. I've ideas for other dislays later in the term related to each weeks work, but am struggling to decide on a suitable maths display and other displays - I've about 4 more reaosnably sized boards to use - any ideas greatly appreciarted.

Many thanks and hope you are all having fabbie summer breaks!!!

After returning from holidays we always do a 'during the holidays' wall and the children paint a picture and write what they did. After Christams it reads 'for Christmas' and again they write what they has as a present.

They usually stay up until half term, I have lots of walls!!

Rest of the walls fill up as we go along, it's nice to go back to a blank canvas and start again.

My maths display for sept is large ladybirds with spots and the numbers 0-9... can you count the spots..

The ladybirds are A3 sized and laminated.. I use them for number binds later in the year.

We do paper plate faces on our welcome board with a photo of each child next to the plate.

Also photos on display of their visit to the school.

A general computer labels off sparklebox over the computers...

Hope that helps and enjoy the summer before your NQT year.

L

Hi,

a few ideas for display in my nursery that you could you are relate it to the topic you are going to be doing. eg we are doing ourselves so one of my displays will be from a focused activity of them doing painted portraits.

a few ideas for maths are to do the displays related to number rhymes but let the children help you do the collages for them eg frogs, ten fat sausages.

in the water, playdough, sand area i take photographs of the new children to put up on display eg planning for water is going to be empty/full, therefore i will take pictures of the new children doing this and blow them up to A3 and then laminate them, then add words to go with the planning!

Hope this gives you a few ideas. look on sparkle box for a few idea in their gallery this will help you too.

good luck

Christine x :o

can I say, with no disrespect intended,..................my childrens group used to do a 'what i had for christmas' thing too, until they had a couple of children who reeled off the most outrageous list of stuff (and yes, they really did have all the things they said), and one little girl burst into inconsolable sobs, as she had only received one small gift, (due to her daddy having been made redundant shortly before christmas)..........and that little girl was mine :o

it took me right back to when my father was sacked just a week or two before christmas, because someone had stolen something, and my father, who knew who had done it, refused to tell.(In the sixties, it was guilt by omission!)Silly man...........we had a truly tough time of things and of course my mother couldn't understand why he just wouldn't drop the so and so in it,but the pain of going to school and hearing everyone else bragging about their shiny new bikes and other wonderful things and me saying we had a book stayed with me for a long time.....and has just come back in a big lump! I never

Now in my group, if the children want to talk about christmas, we usually talk about the party we had and the gift they received from us.It's difficult to stop some of them bragging, so we say they can talk about one thing only, which i guess helps

This is our first display as each child is inducted into reception for the cloakroom wall so that as children arrive with their parents very quickly they have something to talk about. Its a shared cloakroom with 2 reception classes and each class as a different wall for pegs.This display is up all year and this will be our 3rd year doing it.

oh narnia, i'm really sorry, didn't meant to make you think of unhappy times.

And I don't want you to think that I ask the children to tell everyone everything they've had. They are all asked to say just one thing that they have had, and paint a picture of that one toy. I remember one year a little girl painted a picture of a hair band she had had. Yes she had had other things to, but she had seen this in a shop a couple of weeks before Christmas and told her mum how she'd like one, so was thrilled to receive the same thing.

Parents are generally surprised at what they do choose to tell everyone about, because nine times out of ten it's one of the least expensive presents they've had.

Can't believe I'm writing about Christmas!!

When my daughter was in nursery the only thing she wanted for Christmas was a packet of Blutac!!! Poor Santa had to ask a few times and mum had to explain to him... and the nursery teacher...and the butcher... and any one else who asked the cute 3 year old in the yellow duffle coat what she wanted for Christmas :o

We always displayed paintings that the children had done on their visits. We also had a board for self-registration so that they could access their name card at any time.

• 2 weeks later...
oh narnia, i'm really sorry, didn't meant to make you think of unhappy times.

And I don't want you to think that I ask the children to tell everyone everything they've had. They are all asked to say just one thing that they have had, and paint a picture of that one toy. I remember one year a little girl painted a picture of a hair band she had had. Yes she had had other things to, but she had seen this in a shop a couple of weeks before Christmas and told her mum how she'd like one, so was thrilled to receive the same thing.

Parents are generally surprised at what they do choose to tell everyone about, because nine times out of ten it's one of the least expensive presents they've had.

Can't believe I'm writing about Christmas!!

Quite right! I always remeber when I went to church christmas morning and told everyone I had a swimming hat for christmas (it had a shark on it... I was VERY proud!!) :oxD My mum still remembers it too.....

I did PPA in a Reception class that had a really good idea for a September display - they put aside 2 display boards for all of the children to have their own little space to display. Each child had perhaps a 30amx30cm space, marked by border roll. Early on in September the teacher took each child's photo and put it in the space and the children painted the first initial of their name to put up as well. Their first painting went in their space and after that the children were active participants in deciding what they wanted displayed on in their little square. The board lasted the entire year, but of course the items displayed kept changing as the children made new things. It was really personal and proved of course that every child was unique. I've got my own Reception class in September and have copied this idea for myself!

TickiTembo

I love this idea TickiTembo!

Did you have children who wanted to change their display every day, and some who kept the same display for ages?

I'm busily thinking how this can work in our setting (we have to move display boards in and out of the cupboard every day). We'd need to make it expandable since children can join our setting at any time since we always have spaces and have no waiting list!

Maz

I love this idea TickiTembo!

Did you have children who wanted to change their display every day, and some who kept the same display for ages?

I'm busily thinking how this can work in our setting (we have to move display boards in and out of the cupboard every day). We'd need to make it expandable since children can join our setting at any time since we always have spaces and have no waiting list!

Maz

Surprisingly the children didn't want to change their display every day! We emphasised that the display on the board was special and they seemed happy to have their hard work displayed for all to see. I would say on average that each child changed their display about once every 2-3 weeks, but because they all changed at different times it was totally manageable. In your case I would make enough spaces for the maximum number of children that you could have at any one time, so that you can easily and quickly accommodate a new child. You could fill the empty spaces with comments, pictures etc. Good Luck!

TickiTembo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)