Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Presents

Hi all!

Just wondering what (if anything) you are going to buy your children at the end of term as leavers gifts.

I'm really struggling to think of something that will not cost the earth but what all children will like. I have 23 4-5 year olds.

All ideas welcome thanks

Rachel xx

Last year I made up a large laminated card with montage of all the childrens faces on it, with the recipiants face in the middle, then on the inside the you are special poem. Because I was closing (as you can see I had few children on register) I gave each child their favourite preschool toy that they had played with ie: Archie loved the red sit on fire engine, Roxanne her favourite dressing up dress, Dylan, Thomas the tank toys etc.

Previous years I have given books, pencil case packs, recorders (parents loved this, not :o ), skipping ropes.

Peggy

post-3604-1216460461_thumb.jpg

LEAVERS_POEM_ARCHIE2.doc

Guest Wolfie

Oh Peggy, that was a lovely idea to give them their favourite toys, they'll be kept forever with such special memories. What a lovely thing to do even though I know the circumstances were sad.

I agree with Peggy to on that one -

When the setting I was working at closed I to let the children take their favorite toys - and their faces, it's such a sad time and least it comforts you when you see their faces when they can take the toys home!!

For our children now we just make a certicate with them, their keyperson then a group photo with it.

xxx

We gave ours a certificate and a book called Going to School for reception children leavers, then for one child we got him a book with English/French words as he was moving and the nursery class children had a different book.

Next year we have about 25 children leaving to attend reception class, need lots of book next year then.

Beth

This year we have 33 children leaving.....we have brought them a pencil case set and made a card with a photo of each child at nursery....each member of staff will write a short message inside......can get quite emotional!

As I brought in Forest School this year and the kids have been very keen on investigating nature, we bought our leavers binoculars (good National Geographic ones) this year as well as a framed photo of all the leavers. The kids have spent loads of sessions making binoculars out of cardboard tubes so this fitted the bill perfectly!

We only had 6 leavers mind! Makes a bit of difference if you are buying for 20+.

hI,

We have bought bubbles from the pound shop ten for a pound and then put a little note round each one to say good luck in your new class. The children loved them worked out about 10p per child x :oxD

Loving the bubble idea, children always love bubbles, cheap, cheerful and fun. We have the book lady(from the Book People) come to preschool about once every half term, she leaves a selection of books for about 2 weeks, the parents buy them, we get a percentage comission to spend on the books. Often there are packs of 10 books for about a tenner. Each time we get commission we get packs of books and save them up over the year to give to the leavers. It has worked well over the last few years and it costs us nothing.

We made bookmarks for the children - they had their name on and a photo of them with their friends playing at preschool. We laminated them and tied a tassle in a hole at the end. We also gave them all a photo of the whole group in a frame.

Sally

We also do a laminated "leavers' poem" - it is the handprint poem, and the children place their painted handprints at the bottom of it. We also give them each a "worry bear" which is introduced to them during transition sessions, and on their visits to school. They take him with them to school, keep him in their desk or bag, and if they have any problems or worries during the day, they can tell their bear instead of worrying themselves. Then, as soon as possible, they can take their bear to their teacher or parent to let them know what the problem is. Teachers at the schools really like this idea, and encourage the children to bring their bears to talk to them anyway. This year the bears (about 6" tall) came complete with white T-shirts and backpacks, so we wrote each child's name on the T-shirt using laundry markers.

The bears also come with a poem about school which we copy from a book about Spencer bear.

As the term finishes with a party, they also each take home a goody bag of prizes for games they have won, and "finds" from our treasure hunt.

Think we will have to add the leavers' "special" poem too! They'll be needing a weekend bag to take it all home in!

We also give them each a "worry bear" which is introduced to them during transition sessions, and on their visits to school. They take him with them to school, keep him in their desk or bag, and if they have any problems or worries during the day, they can tell their bear instead of worrying themselves.

What a lovely idea! Bet the children treasure them.

Sally

Love the Worry Bear idea I think the staff at my setting and me especially could all do with one at the moment!!

We give bubbles and do the handprint poem which we laminate. The old supervisor used to only give presents to the actual children leaving and you could just see all the other children's faces just fall apart it was horrible. Give them a pot of bubble and their faces soon break into enormous smiles.

books.. with a bookmark, similar poem to Peggys, and signed by all staff...

and this year we did the footprint poem by SueR which I found on here.. seems to have caused lots of parents to cry!! Several refused to read it until they got home!

They also take lots of items used over the year in the setting, like coat-hanger with pictures, registration names etc.

Inge