Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Ict

Hi all - I've been told that I have to take the nursery children to the ICT suite next year and I'm dreading it! Does anyone have any ideas what activities I can do? Also any organisational tips would be helpful as I can just imagine a chorus of "I want to go on CBeebies!" Thank you!!

Kermit, I've never used a suite with nursery before but I would concentrate on teaching skills and letting the children experiment.

Show them how a program works, each game or part of it depending on what you have available to you and then let them have a go! I concentrate on mouse skills at first, they need to know how to click, drag etc and to have some coordination between hand and eye to move objects so a paint program or something like dressing teddy is good. There are also some simple games on Northumberland gfl although I have never used the internet with mine! Once you have some mouse skills in place, you can think about using the computer/ ICT with other areas of learning, so games to support mathematical learning or literacy which will again enhance mouse skills. If you have lower case keyboards, you could at some stage encourage them to find the letters for their name or just play, we write "messages" and I show them how to use the space bar etc.

Remember that ICT includes much more than just the computer so dont feel threatened to use the suite if you feel the children cant cope, try it every few weeks and see how you get on. I think it will depend alot on the lay out of your suite too. the children do, im my experience need to be able to see you easily and whay you are demonstrating.

Good luck.

Hi Early years ICT is good to use for mouse control etc and is arranged into topics so it might fit in with some aspects of what you are doing in the nursery. I use the ICT suite with nursery children and they manage really well especially by the end of the year. The good ones help the others. I also model the activities on the white board. I only take the older children not new intake and gradually extend the time. Hope this helps. They also love Goldilocks and the 3 bears.

Hi Kermit,

Good to see you back!

I would just start with 2 Simple Paint because it caters for a wide range. Those that have no mouse skills whatsoever can be shown how to make marks and the more able can make pictures maybe adding the tools. I would just start by showing them which mouse button to press and let them play.

Sue

Feel free to PM me or ring any time

Edited by Guest

Thanks Sue will probably pm you or ring you for further advice. We've not got 2Simple software so may have to invest in that. We've got Fresco and Tinydraw. Ps I've lost that lady's e-mail address who was at the cluster meeting before, the one who comes in for free if you e-mail her......Could you possibly PM me with her details? Thank you! Have a lovely summer. Thanks also to Clairesmiffy

I really wonder if it's appropriate to take a class of nursery children to a suite??? How many at a time? Won't you just spend a lot of time

1) logging them all on

2) re-configuring the computer settings as they send the desktop into cyberspace with 1 click

3) explaining to the ICT coord why child x managed to wipe the school server/cache by inadvertantly hacking into the secret hidden password protected adult only control space.

4) putting them back on those ridiculously high stools designed for yr6 every time they wobble off

5) sorting out the tantrums because they have to work in pairs or more and the child sitting on the rh side just won't hand the mouse over

6)trying to sort out the left hander who keeps right clicking on the oversized mouse and sends everything to the printer

7)logging them all off again.

ICT in the EYFS is SOOOOO much more than that. :oxD

Do you know Catma they are my thoughts exactly and although I am the ICT co-ordinator and I've stated my case, I've been overpowered by the head of KS1 and deputy head........so I've hit a brick wall. I wouldn't mind but we have 3 computers anyway in our FSU and managing children on them is challenging enough!!!

I quite agree that ICT in the early years is much more than just computers. However I think that they are a fantastic resource, and the children love them. I have taken reception into the suite from 2nd week in september and normally once a week for the rest of the year!

For nursery children I would suggest using some kind of click and drag program or simple paint program (2paint or simple city). If it's possible I would set the computers up before you go in so that the program is on and ready. If you have an IWB in your classroom I would show they the program before you go in rather than when you are in there- the temptation to click and touch things is just to much when they are in there!After a very short time the children will be able to explore things for themselves. When using 2paint with my reception class they were teaching me how to do things!

With my reception children they have their own user name and password which by the end of the year they are using indepndently to log themselves on. But don't normally start using them for a couple of weeks and probably completely inappropriate for nursery.

In the classroom/outside area children have free access to a range of ICT- digital cameras and video cameras, beebots, programmable toys, remote controlled toys, dance mats, IWB, tape recorders, cd players etc etc as well as classroom computers where they often choose to return to activities/websites/programs done in the ICT suite.

As you can probablt tell I am very passionate about ICT! I think it's a fantastic area of learning and it can really support and enhance all areas of learning!

(sorry for going on- hope it makes sense!). xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)