Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

York Website

Hi!

Just followed link through this website to have a look at York's website in the hope of looking at their planning formats but was unable to access them. I can get as far as the folder titled long term, short term planning, etc but then it just stops. I cannot find any way of looking at the page.

Can anyone help please! I need to change our planning in our FS unit and need to look at as many examples as poss to gain some ideas.

Thankyou Cazza

Hi Cazza,

I've just checked the link to the York site, and it now seems the resources are not freely available. Looks like you have to be a registered school in the LEA to gain access. I'll let Steve know, and he'll take out the link. Sorry they've changed the access :o

Have you seen the article on planning with some planning forms, all of which have been donated by members of the site?

Why do you need to change the planning for your FS unit? Can you tell us a bit about your setting so we can help you make the first steps in changing things? :)

Hi Cazza -

Thanks for pointing that out. The York site used to have lots of material generally available but it seems now that they restrict it to settings in their area.

There was also some very good material on the Southwark.gov.uk site, but I've just been to check and it seems this has been taken away - at least I can't seem to find it and the old link doesn't work any more.

As Helen said, we've got a planning article and some template documents of our own. It's quite high level and you might need more detail but if you haven't seen it give it a try. You can find it here.

And if all else fails, come back and ask specific questions! We're all here to help :)

Hi thanks for all your replies, you've been very helpful.

The Norfolk website looks good thanks. Our main problem is not with long term planning or ideas- staff are very good at these. Its how to record medium and short term planning in an effective way. its the same old story of mixing staff needs in the setting with the need to show objectives, etc.

At the moment we produce medium term plans which closely resemble those on the Norfolk site. We have a plan for each of the 6 areas of learning which ELG's, stepping stones and then possible starting points/ activities. We then produce a half termly pacer as this seems to help with gathering our thoughts for short term weekly planning meetings when we are all slightly brain dead and need a clear topic for the week .This is flexible though and changes if needs of the children are different.

Our short term planning is awful! it just doesn't work for us. I have tried a system like those shown on this site but they did not seem specific enough. They showed what was been covered for the week but not staff and child roles, routines and timetable, etc. Staff were then constantly needing to check routines, etc. Maybe I wasn't filling them in correctly? If someone could send a copy of a completed weekly plan it would be very, very gratefully recieved!

We then moved to a more structures weekly plan with sessions, adults, activites, Lo's, etc on but this is very onerous. Its difficult to fit everything onto one sheet so we've ended up with countless rotas, a plan showing independent choice activities, one showing staff focussed activites, a group time session plan and then a sheet for evaluations, observation notes, etc. Far too much! It definately needs to be streamlined but I feel as though I'm too close to do it. Not able to see bigger picture maybe.

Any help would be really helpful. Thanks for all your kind messages and info already given. Cazza

Very interesting to hear your problems Cazza, as I've proably said before we're setting up our FS Unit in September, we're still trying to sort out a new format for planning too!!

As you say with many different staff, roles etc. it is difficult without producing numerous plans!!

Our current plan is on one format i.e. 6 areas of learning then there are codes which relate to the timetable. We thought this would be too complicated for the unit, we were thinking of having separate plans for adult directed and child activites - one for each of three rooms!!

Maybe this will be more complicated than what we are currently using!!

If you have any great ideas please let me know.

Magenta

Thanks for message magenta, keep in touch and let me know how you get on as well. Its all a bit of a headache at the moment but i'm sure it will work out in the end!

Cheers Cazza

Hi Cazza, I'll certainly send you copies of timetables and planning - when we know what we're doing!!!

We seem to have a very similar set up to you so we will have to keep in touch.

I'll send you copies of anything we decide upon, but we're at the very basic stage, we haven't even got our rooms set up yet - we are in temporary accommodation for next half-term/term while building works are hopefully taking place - we'll find out when we get back.

Good luck, Magenta