Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bercow Report

The Bercow report has now been published, and the report, press releases etc are available to download here.

Haven't had time to read it throughly yet, but the press release says:-

"Up to 50 per cent of children in some areas of Britain are identified in the Bercow Review as growing up with significant speech, language and communication needs (SLCN). Without the help these children require to develop important communication skills during their school lives, the risks are multiple and lead, in many cases to: lower educational attainment; behavioural problems; emotional and psychological difficulties; poor employment prospects, challenges to mental health and, in some cases, a descent into criminality."

Should make interesting bedtime reading for us all... :o

Maz

My area totally reflects what is said in the report.There has been a significant drop in language/communication skills over the years.Even our 'top end' children have difficulties talking in sentences, use one word answers to questions, don't recognise a question, give an unrelated answer and are generally very passive in carpets sessions. A child with a proplem requiring a speech therapist used to be occasionally now its the norm.We have had so many this intake the speech therapist has come to us to run her sessions with groups! The report gets my backing.

Our headteacher pointed out how many parents were walking down the drive to collect their children with some form of ear piece in -phone, i-pod etc. Even on the walk to and from school they are not communicating with their children.Language imput is based on a 2d, no response required format ie TV DVD PC.

I shall be looking closely at the recommendations

Guest Wolfie

Thanks for that! It links in very well with Pacal and Bertram's assertion that good communication skills at age 5 are a good indicator of future successful learners.

have been listening to this and reading about it. Not a new thing in my school. have always had these difficulties and always had lack og qualified s&l support. maybe things will improve in that area. As a school we have always found ways to try and improve children'S&L and communication skills but more and more children are now coming to nursery with these difficulties. I would say over 50%

Thanks for that! It links in very well with Pacal and Bertram's assertion that good communication skills at age 5 are a good indicator of future successful learners.

Give us a link then Wolfie! or a Harvard reference at the very least... :o

Guest Wolfie

Erm.....I can't give a link, it was something that they talked about at one of their courses that I went to! However, they also referred to a piece of research about "hot and cold indicators" at age 5 of future successful learners - how it didn't matter if they knew their alphabet or could count to 10, what was important was that they had good self-esteem, were confident, had good communication skills and could "get on" with other people, i.e. good social skills.

I'll see if I can find a link to that research...but don't hold your breath.......

I've just checked - Chris Pascal said it was a piece of research carried out by the National Assessment Agency but I've just trawled their website and drawn a blank! If anyone else finds anything, let me know!

Edited by Wolfie

Erm.....I can't give a link, it was something that they talked about at one of their courses that I went to! However, they also referred to a piece of research about "hot and cold indicators" at age 5 of future successful learners - how it didn't matter if they knew their alphabet or could count to 10, what was important was that they had good self-esteem, were confident, had good communication skills and could "get on" with other people, i.e. good social skills.

I'll see if I can find a link to that research...but don't hold your breath.......

I've just checked - Chris Pascal said it was a piece of research carried out by the National Assessment Agency but I've just trawled their website and drawn a blank! If anyone else finds anything, let me know!

Sorry: didn't mean to give you such a challenge! :o

http://crec.co.uk/index.php?option=com_con...7&Itemid=34

"In summary, the AcE Scale recognises the evidence that children’s long-term attainment is crucially shaped by their development in four key domains:

1. Linguistic development and communication skills

2. Attitudes and dispositions

3. Social competence and self esteem

4. Emotional wellbeing

To summarise, the key domains and items to be assessed in the AcE Scale are:

1. Linguistic development and communication skills, including:

* Linguistic exploration

* Linguistic agency

* Linguistic range

* Linguistic processing

2. Attitudes and dispositions, including:

* Independence

* Creativity

* Self motivation

* Resilience

3. Social competence and self esteem, including:

* Effective relationships

* Empathy

* Responsibility

* Assertiveness

* Self worth

4. Emotional wellbeing, including:

* Emotional literacy

* Empowerment

* Connectedness

* Positive self esteem "

Guest Wolfie

Yes, I was on the course about the ACE scale when they referred to the research.

This is the scale that I would like to introduce in our Children's Centre for assessment/tracking purposes because it makes so much sense and it can be used with any age from 0-5; we can identify a baseline starting point and track any baby/child...and maybe even produce the dreaded statistics that Ofsted are going to ask us for!

Wolfie I looked at the price ... All one day courses cost £2750 and include tutor(s) fees & materials (exclusive of VAT) which would equate to only £110 per delegate if the maximum cohort attended. If travel and tutor accommodation and subsistence are necessary these will be additional charges. don't think I can sell it to my head!

Guest Wolfie

The price of what, Marion? Do we have to attend training in order to be able to administer the scale? I didn't realise that! :o Where did you find that information?

http://www.amberpublications.org.uk/index....9&Itemid=48

"he AcE Programme is in its final developmental stage and LAs and other providers are invited to participate in piloting the materials at a reduced price before full-scale production of the finished product begins. Birmingham, Brent, North Lincolnshire, Sefton and Thameside LAs are our current partners in the AcE project. Those who are interested in joining the developmental stage should contact us. Full details are given below."

"Price Schedule

Total Programme funding required for a group of 10 settings in the Pilot Programme is £12,000 plus travel and expenses for APT/CREC team (approx £200 x 2 x 12 days)"

http://www.amberpublications.org.uk/index....Itemid=39#eight

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)