Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Numbers

Hi

What is the legality with regards to numbers? A friend of mine who is a nursery teacher has been told she will have 32 children in September. She will have 1 full time nursery nurse.

Surely this can't be right, what does it say in the EYFS document?

Guest budgie1

Hi There

The EYFS states that with a QTS in nursery there can be a 1 :13 ratio, so a QTS and an NNEB can have 26 children, If the class goes above 30 there must be an additional teacher. This is causing havoc with many nursery schools, including the one I am at where we have had to make staff redundant as they are not qualified to the right level. Hope this helps

Jo

Hi, I think I already know the answer to this but I am checking any way.

I was told today that in a Nursery class if you have a qualified teacher that you do not need a qualified teaching assistant/ nursery nurse- we have always had a level 3 before, but I was told today that I could advertise the job as unqualified but then the job description must take this into account and I must not expect the unqualified to do pay level 2 or 3 type things.

Surely you have to have a qualified level 3 type person in a Nursery class along with a qualified teacher.

Here's the info I cut and pasted from Appendix 2 of the May 2008 Statutory Framework document:-

"Children aged three and over in maintained schools and nursery schools (except for children in reception classes)

■■ The early years provision in each class or group of pupils must be led by a ‘school teacher’.

A teacher must be present with the children except during non-contact time, breaks and short term absence.

■■ There must be at least one member of staff for every 13 children.

■■ At least one member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification (as defined by CWDC).

Guidance on staffing arrangements during the teacher’s non-contact time, breaks and short-term absence is provided on page 17 of the Practice Guidance for the Early Years Foundation Stage booklet."

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Here's the info I cut and pasted from Appendix 2 of the May 2008 Statutory Framework document:-

"Children aged three and over in maintained schools and nursery schools (except for children in reception classes)

■■ The early years provision in each class or group of pupils must be led by a ‘school teacher’.

A teacher must be present with the children except during non-contact time, breaks and short term absence.

■■ There must be at least one member of staff for every 13 children.

■■ At least one member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification (as defined by CWDC).

Guidance on staffing arrangements during the teacher’s non-contact time, breaks and short-term absence is provided on page 17 of the Practice Guidance for the Early Years Foundation Stage booklet."

Maz

Thank you everyone

Hi There

The EYFS states that with a QTS in nursery there can be a 1 :13 ratio, so a QTS and an NNEB can have 26 children, If the class goes above 30 there must be an additional teacher. This is causing havoc with many nursery schools, including the one I am at where we have had to make staff redundant as they are not qualified to the right level. Hope this helps

Jo

[

HI THERE,

THOSE THIS APPLY TO NURSERIES IN PRIVATE SECTOR , FROM SEPTMBER WE WANT TO RECRUIT A QUALIFIED TEACHER.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)