Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Fsp Term By Term

hi I am a reception year teacher who has been assessing the results of the FSP and PIPS for this year and last year. Last year although my children were in a class setting they achieved good results and had made very good progress in both FSP and PIPS, this year having access to the whole foundation stage and joint planning by all members of the team and delivery to all children both results have been very poor both in performance and progress. Are there any tracking sheets out there that plot where a child should be in each area of the FSP relation to how long they have been in the fs? :o

hope there is something out there!

Hi Chocolatebrownie and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your childrens progress and performance but have you considered the nature of the cohort? I firmly believe that PSE underpins the curriculum and the progress and performance will be determined by where your children are in this.

I also hope that there are no such expectations of where the children should be as that will depend on each individual.

If you remember that the average child is expected to achieve scale point 6 in the 6 areas then that works out at roughly 2 scale points per term. However this would only be a very rough guide, as like Susan says each child is individual and will progress at their own rate. If you think that any SEN children will perform below this and the higher ability children may well exceed this then it does work out roughly (although there are some aspects where most children will struggle to get above 6 or 7 in one academic year I feel eg in CLL.

Hope this helps.

The whole average child thing is obviously quite contentious, but I had thought that the 'average' child gets 6 points and probably comes in to reception with the first 3 points already, so if this was the case, they would achieve 1 point each term. In my school the children certainly come in 'below average' and most don't have the 3 green points 1-3 till they've been at school a while.

Hi

What you have to remember is that you can have your biggest achievement with someone who on paper has made 'little progress' If they have only achieved 1 - 3 but they came into school without any sort of learning, behaviour or communication skills at all then u have done wonders! You should also remember the PSED skills count for loads, its a vital part of the curriculum and allows those less academically lower to achieve higher scores.

All children are different and each cohort is too so as long as you can show that progress has been made then lower scores should be for a reason and that reason wont be you!

The only real expectation is that "most" children will achieve the ELGs by the end of FS, i.e attainment within scale points 4 - 8 by the end. Each child's journey will be different and unique to them. They may have particular interests and strengths in some aspects whilst they plateau for a bit in others - and that is rightly so!

Ofsted would currently say that yellow ss is the national expectation for AoE to f1 and blue/green for AoE to F2.

There is no expectation that chn make specific points of progress each term (not very unique child that!) or any equivalent expectation to KS1 and 2 with their sub levels progress etc.

On going observational assessment is the only way that you can truely get a picture of what a child can do - I tell my practitioners to consider these things:

Have you just not provided for something? Does your provision inhibit progress in a particular aspect of learning because you don't have anything to support it in place?

Do you know what it looks like in independent activity? (Use the look listen and note) the chn may be doing something right under your nose but you won't see it if you don't know!

Do you have a complete picture of the curriculum and what the aspects are within each of the 6 areas - do you actively support/teach in all aspects?

Do you have info from different people - parents, TAs, etc etc

Do you adapt your curriculum to meet the needs of specific underattaining/vulnerable groups, boys, SEN,EMA/EAL etc etc

Do you analyse your assessments to adapt your planning provision regularly?

These can all impact on outcomes as much as particular cohorts.

Cx

Edited by catma

Lots of fantastic advice, just wanted to say Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Just had a thought, I would think the scores would also be affected by how many pre Aug 31st / post Aug 31st Summer Bdays there are in any cohort.

I just got the results for my Foster daughter age 6 in Nov (08) and she scored on average 4/5, a 7 for Numbers as labels for counting and 3 for social development. Her circumstances being a move to a new home May 07, new school sept 07, new teacher Jan 08. Only in the last few weeks with the upcoming transition have I been informed of 'social' issues the school feel they are having with her and this was discussed as the reason for the 3 score in SD at her recent PEP. :o I did ask the teacher what colour level she thought my F Daughter is, Green or grey, she replied that she didn't work with colour stages xD (not even sure she knew about the FSC book :( , homework she's been given has been worksheets at KS1 term 3, instead of Reception term 3, all of which I ignored and queried :( )

I think there are so many individual issues that children, staff and schools deal with that the only way to measure is as others have said, an individual childs progress, with consideation to external factors too.

Peggy

Don't get me started on Summer birthdays. This year I had 20 out of 30 as summer birthdays - loads of my class are still 4. And next year it is 16 out of 30. We operate 3 points of entry as well in our LA.

Will be interesting to see if proposals banded around about giving them an extra year in foundation stage will come the fruition in Jim Rose's review.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)