Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Topic On Materials!

Three little pigs and materials for their houses

Use the book Lucy's picture - (of the top of my head the authour Nicola Moon springs to mind but I could have made that up :o ) A little girl makes a picture for her grandfather using collage materials because he is blind.

Sensory trail for feet and or hands

Rubbings of different textures around the school outside

Natural material sculpture

Weaving using different materails - both large and small scale both inside and out

this may be useful a pdf of signs re: materials / science

A broad subject and a long time to plan for, maybe think of way to look at materials relevant to the children, ie: their bedroom features, matching quilt covers, curtains etc, patterns in materials could help with maths concept of pattern, regular/irregular sequence of pattern.

My children loved to make material collages, do weaving (using wire bookcase, loom and plastic fencing), using a mangle and paper shredding.

I remember one particular session where the children had quite a production line going they got paper from a tray, folded it, put it through the mangle, shredded it, then emptied the shredded paper into a small shopping trolley, then transported this to a box. Each part of the production line was a walk away from each other and the children waited turns, helped each other, discussed what was happening to the paper, maintaineda momentum (spl?) of productivity until all the paper was shredded and boxed. :o It lasted most of the morning session.

Peggy

p.s. I found the mangle ( pasta roller) in a charity shop for £5 xD , the loom n a charity shop for £2 :(

NATURAL_MAN_MADE_GROUPING.pdf

post-3604-1215682833_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1215682858_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1215682887_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1215682905_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1215683138_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1215683169_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1215683199_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1215683221_thumb.jpg

I love it Peggy - feel my group having to do the same topic mys elf. I can feel gasps of horror from my team when I suggest the children use the shredder and the church commitee will have a fit if I let the children have all that lovely shredded paper in the hall Any ideas for 'Lets Explore!'

smiles

Oh Peggy how I wish I could have come to your setting it looks so much fun and so inspirational for the children.

What about Elmer the Elephant. Tie dying, fabric painting. Silk painting is fun. Making paper.

We made wonderful streamers the other day using tubes and long pieces of fabric.

What about discussing clothes and fabrics from around the world.

Manmade and natural.

People who help us what do they wear and why.

Could you get some parents in who knit, crochet or sew?

Making dens using different materials, why do we need shelter.

So much to do, so little time!!

I love it Peggy - feel my group having to do the same topic mys elf. I can feel gasps of horror from my team when I suggest the children use the shredder and the church commitee will have a fit if I let the children have all that lovely shredded paper in the hall Any ideas for 'Lets Explore!'

smiles

Can you expand a bit smiles? let's explore what? What is the main learning focus, is it science?

(Maybe you could start a new thread / post with your question so you get more responses and we don't hijack this one. :o:(

found another pic of our 'Material Girl', one of the boys was fascinated with 'boobs' due to his mum breastfeeding his new sister. :( I think Madonna would have liked the design. xD

Peggy

post-3604-1215717032_thumb.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)