Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Praising Positive Behaviour

HI EVERYONE! I am in the middle of setting up a behaviour/ rewards system in my reception class (which is in line with the whole school policy) and was hoping for any ideas or advice on how to do this. I want to create a permenent board in my class called either a golden or celebration board. This is where i hope to fix post it type notes for special things that happen in my class-e,g if i hear a child being kind/v.polite etc. I hope to refer to, and praise these occurances, during circle time either at the end of each day or the week. Does anyone do anthing similar or have a better idea? I want the board to focus on good as opposed to bad, which i have seen in many of my placements as a trainee teacher.

Any suggestions extremely appreciated!! :o x

Hi

i'm in a nursery... we use the usual stars on a chart and if they get five they then take home an achievement certificate, if they have done somthing positive or have done group work well.

We have also just introduce a golden book where as you say if we see children being kind, helpful etc we write it in the book, themn the child can choose a special ativity, story or outside toy to get out.... we hope this will encourage more positive behaviour.

I liked the idea (not mine and cant remember where I heard/read about it!!) of a golden tree. Similar idea to your board and post it notes just the notes were leaf shaped and said what the award was for, Children got to choose where on the tree their leaf went and at the end of term all leaves were sent home.

We have a caring caterpillar ! It is made out of wood and has little hooks along its body. Underneath is a clear plastic make up bag with laminated circles with the names of all the children. These have all been hole punched . When any child has been kind in any way they can put their name on the caterpillar. They are then praised and clapped at circle time. They get a caterpillar sticker in their folder with the reason for their nomination so that parents can read what they have done. they also get a caterpillar card to take home with the reason written on, a bit like a certificate. We tried stickers at first but found that these often fell off and also we couldn't put the reason on them. :D

Hi

I've been doing this for years now and have found 2 systems to be popular. We call them 'Well Dones' and each child has a path of five stepping stones leading to a central 'pot' eg stepping stones of their favourite colour leading to a big paint pot. When they reach the middle they get a reward of some sort. This year my job share partner and I are getting a jar of small toysto dish out.

Our children are a bit older and so we also give them a certificate when they get 25 well dones.

Hope this helps

Kate :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)