Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is This Silly Season Or What?

dublinbay

Read in the telegraph online "Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist'".

We are encouraged to report any child who says "yuk" when offered unfamiliar foreign food.

I'm all for challenging racist language and behaviour but this is really taking the michael!!!

Sorry but I can't do the link - it's telegraph.co.uk

For those who would like to read the article, here's the link. Its about a report by the National Children's Bureau which seems in fact to be a 300-page book about anti-racist practice in early years. Here's the link to a statement of intent written by the author of the book. It looks like an interesting publication: wide ranging in its contents - look here for the chapter headings.

The book costs £19.20 for members and £23.99 for non-members, if anyone is interested.

I'd really like to know if the author of the article has actually read the whole thing or just seized on this example. It sounds like a case study I'd use in a session about anti-racist practice to promote discussion: if a child says 'yuck' when eating spicy food does this make her or him a racist? Of course until someone reads the book to find out, we'll never know....

Maz

pollitics and children, what a loap of .............indeed!!!!!!!!!!.if its yuk, then its yuk, i dont think this should be taken out of context. silly is the world that best describe issue.

racist against which race? :oxD

nuff said or does the book discuss stereotypes linked with spices ?? :(

More time spent on education about food in general would be better to discuss, most children don't even know where butter comes from, apart from the shop or fridge of course!!

Peggy